- Teach the children how to react in situations like being approached by a stranger on IRC.
- Do not allow young children to go on IRC alone.
- Report any misdemeanors you encounter to the IRC Network Administrators, ISP Administrators, law enforcers.

Well said.

Recently I posted some messages on a blog of a former mate (now not really a mate) because he has this idea that getting rid of IRC will solve problems associated with on-line paedophilia. After I told him that he's dreaming I said much the same thing you did.

JoshMelvin: As has been highighted, you are barking up the wrong tree. It's a touchy subject and open to many debates in many places but there is a precedent set that if you are committing a crime on the Internet then you could be liable under the laws of either the country you are presently in or the laws of the country that a victim is in. It depends on alot of things, especially when it involves two countries with extradition treaties in place and what particular laws are being broken.

In addition to zack's remarks I'll add that if you don't want to be a victim of on-line crime then don't tell people who you are or where you live, your phone number, email address, etc. They can only find out what you tell them, it's that simple.