As an owner of an IRC server on a jointly owned network that has been established for quite a while now I can assure you that there is nothing wrong with java applets, even on dialup connections they load in under 30 seconds even on a first visit.

The thing you seem to have forgotten here is that the finer points of IRC are not for everyone and there are a lot of people out there that want to simply use IRC as a means of communications. It is a good way to introduce new users to IRC without bombarding them with suggestions about chat software, scripting and all the hardcore aspects of IRC.

To a new user who is unfamiliar with IRC, a java applet will ALWAYS be an easier way to get them on board. I run celebrity chats on my network. All users, except the regulars will always come in on a webpage. Why? Because their concern is asking the celebrity questions and they don't have to worry about things like what server to join, what room to join, how does this work? etc. It's all laid on for them.

If you run a server and you genuinely want users there what are you going to do: Lay it on for them and give them the option of graduating to mIRC when they become more experienced or just tell them to get an IRC client and learn the ropes from day one?

Carlsbriggs: I use and recommend PJIRC on our network's website. Like anything, it does take some setting up but works well once that job is done.