It's not a problem of mirc's file and directory identifiers, it's the way the language is designed. mirc identifiers (including file/directory ones) can handle double spaces perfectly, as long as you find the way to pass the string to them. How to do that? By passing them other identifiers or variables; variables can store consecutive spaces.

/commands, otoh, cannot handle double spaces. But, in most cases, you can get around the problem. The best way to explain are these 3 examples:

1) You're acessing the mp3s with $findfile. In this case, $findfile().shortfn can be used.
//if $findfile($mp3dir,*.mp3,1).shortfn { .splay $ifmatch | echo -s The long filename contains $count($longfn($ifmatch),$str($chr(32),2)) double spaces.

2) You're using the File Select dialog ($sfile) to get the mp3. $shortfn() can be used here with no problems.
//.splay $$shortfn($sfile($mp3dir*.mp3))

3) You're reading the filenames from a text file (such as a playlist, *.m3u etc)
//.splay $$shortfn($read(playlist.m3u,n,1)
n is necessary here, so mirc doesn't re-evaluate the contents of the line read (which would result in consecutive spaces being stripped).

I couldn't get the page you linked to to load (the Internet crawls these days), so I'm sorry if some of the examples I posted here are already there.

Last edited by qwerty; 26/01/03 02:24 PM.

/.timerQ 1 0 echo /.timerQ 1 0 $timer(Q).com