I've been visiting a regular chat channel where a particular user (who has a history of malicious internet behaviour) has turned his attention towards me.

The channel operators say they cannot do anything about the problem because he uses proxy servers, so if he is banned he can return.They just tell me to ignore him. They also refuse to do anything if he sends private chat messages to me when he sees me in the main chat window.

I can use /ignore nick, and change channels where sometimes the channel operators will ban him, but he just changes to another nick and logs back in with a different address. He persists in sending obscene messages privately and hacking threats etc etc.

Can I get some help with a situation like this? (I am sure he will move on eventually when he finds another target, but if nothing can be done that just means he will never stop behaving this way.)

Also he threatened to hack my PC (I don't think he can, or he would have actually done it, instead of just trying to intimidate me) but I installed Zone Alarm. I don't know how to configure mIRC to use the firewall though.)

Explanation of technical replies would be preferred. Thanks.

Connection: Dialup ISP