What encoding is JIS exactly? I know I switch between SJIS and ISO-2022-JP, but I can find no single encoding named just "JIS" on my system. Though I can find around three named "JIS-something".

Here's my take on the situation, and a big apology to those board members who have heard me say it a zillion times before.

A lot of users (Me included) use other alphabets in addition to the roman alphabet, kana and kanji. Therefore, rather than just implementing a SJIS/JIS switch, it would be more practical to make a major new release of mIRC with support for the Unicode-based UTF-8 encoding. This encoding aims to support all language that are in any extended use.

Given that most people would probably download this new release within a few days, they would then be able to use the UTF-8 encoding, and a SJIS/JIS swtich would be unnecessary. This solution would be MUCH more practical for non-Japanese users wanting to chat in Japanese, and for Japanese users wanting to chat in other languages than Japanese.

And before you ask, this is apparently to be implemented in the future. Just thought I'd let you know.