hile mIRC is still open on the desktop I check the value in mIRC.ini and it is '3'. It is only updated to '0' when I close mIRC. When restarting it fails to write this '0'.
Thanks for confirming. So this is the same issue we've seen in the past where, for some users, Windows is force-closing mIRC before it has a chance to finish updating mirc.ini.

The settings are not nested and labeled as you have described. Are you describing Windows 10? Or has this whole page changed in this WIndows 11 build? Regardless, I toggled all combination of controls and in every case the tip is shown.
Yes, I was testing in Windows 10 in this case. But the notifcation settings are more or less the same in Windows 11.

My copy of Windows 11 found another update and it is now the same as your version. I am seeing the same issue as you in this version of Windows 11.

After spending the last few hours testing it out, it looks like the latest Windows 11 update has broken all of the standard methods that are widely used to get information about the tray area. mIRC actually has four different implementations for this - each using different APIs. It was using the simplest method, which previously worked on all versions of Windows. None of the four implementations work on the latest Windows 11 - even the most basic API calls fail.

It's difficult to say exactly why these methods are no longer working - it could be that Windows 11 is using a stricter security model that prevents Win32 applications from accessing this information.

In any case, I also noticed that Windows 11 allows you to hide the hidden tray area. This means that if mIRC is minimized to tray, and Windows places it in the hidden tray area, and the hidden tray area is hidden - you will simply not be able to access mIRC. And since there no longer seems to be a way for an application to determine whether its tray icon is hidden or not under Windows 11, this undermines the use of the tray area for applications that have a "minimize to tray" feature.

I am going to remove support for the "tip" warning that mIRC is minimized to the tray, since there does not seem to be a way to make this work correctly any more in Windows 11. This change will be in the next beta.

Update: It looks like this issue is due to Microsoft changing core parts of the Windows interface to XAML controls. The tray information should still be accessible, using WinUI and XAML via Win32 applications but C++ examples are sparse. All applications that previously needed to read the contents of the tray are now broken and need to be updated for the latest version of Windows 11 but still need to use the older methods for previous versions of Windows.