I've found what appears to be a slight quirk in how the Login Method feature (of a Server's settings) is implemented, when used in conjunction with the Connect / Options / Perform... feature, in the scenario where the Login Method fails (but the server IS connected and functional). I should note that in this particular network's case, NickServ is not truly required for authentication, but more as a nicety.

• Server configuration uses Login Method "NickServ (/NICKSERV)" and a password is chosen
  • Connect / Options / Perform... has "Enable perform on connect" checked, "Network" set to "All networks", and "Perform commands" is "/join #test"

The situation:

• mIRC connects to the server successfully -- note: IRC commands are fully functional
  • mIRC issues the /NICKSERV {password} command
  • /NICKSERV command fails (IRC protocol returns a 402 indicating No such server -- for example, the NickServ service is unavailable on the network)
  • mIRC sits for 60 seconds (interval seems to come from from Connect / Options / Retry...) -- you can issue manual commands during this time without any issue, of course
  • mIRC suddenly joins /#test even though it could have done so 60 seconds prior without issue

mIRC is treating /NICKSERV returning a 4xx as "failed to connect to server", which is not really true. However, as I think about it a bit more, I can see how/why mIRC might treat this scenario the way it does. But it's a bit strange to see the "Retry..." timeout/interval kick in in this situation. Are there actual IRC networks which *require* NickServ authentication before any other IRC commands are functional?

Prior to using the Login Method feature, I simply put /NICKSERV {password} into my "Perform commands" area/script, where I never encountered this problem (when NickServ was down). Of course, this also had the downside of storing the password in plaintext.

This is using mIRC 7.72, by the way.

Last edited by koitsu; 18/01/23 08:07 PM.