At the risk of repeating this feature suggestion ad nauseam, I believe that many people here would still be very happy with a partial and limited solution for that problem. Something along the lines of a new command prefix (/^echo ..) or special command (/keepspaces echo ..) where just the command parser preserves spaces, by including extra spaces in the argument tokens [*]. After all, spaces.dll shows that at least a few of the most important built-in commands (/echo, /msg) would work just fine that way, likely as well as many others. Being able to use some of those basic commands without loss of spaces would probably take care of 90% of the spaces-related problems people run into, which would be great even if resolving the other 10% will never happen (I am making up these numbers of course). For example, such a simple extension would be a huge step towards proper scriptable support for theming. If that new extension comes with an explicit disclaimer that it is provided as-is and will not work for everything, then what's the harm? smile

I apologize for re-posting this suggestion every once in a while, but I would very much like to be able to stop having to maintain spaces.dll..

[*] For example splitting "foo(space)(space)bar" to the arguments array of ["foo", "(space)bar"], which is how spaces.dll works as well.

Saturn, QuakeNet staff