i also add my support because it can be useful and scripting this to work in the general case is impossible difficult but possible!

i finally found a way to do this that doesn't involve completely parsing the expression laugh

Code:
; $regexm(<string>, <regex> [, N])[.pos]

; Get the Nth value of match[0] (defaults to N = 1)
; Return its position with .pos

alias regexm {

; parse the full regex as mIRC does
  noop $regex(full, $2, /^(?|m(.)?|(/)|^)(.*?)(?:\1(?!.*\1)(.*)$)?$/usD)

; isolate PCRE options from the start of the expression
  noop $regex(pcre, $regmlex(full, 1, 2), /^((?:(?!\((?:(?:MARK|PRUNE|SKIP|THEN|\*(?=:))(?::[^()]*)?|ACCEPT|COMMIT)\))\(\*.*?\))*)(.*)/us)

; validate expression
  if (!$regex( , $+(/, $regmlex(pcre, 1, 1), |, $regmlex(pcre, 1, 2), /))) {
    echo -eagc i * $!regexm: Invalid expression ( $+ $regerrstr $+ )
    return
  }

var %char, %exp

; find suitable placeholder char
  while ($chr($r(2048, 55295)) isin $1) /
  %char = $v1

; add \K onto end of given expression
  ; first wrap entire expression in (?: ), adding \E in case of unterminated \Q
  %exp = $+(m, $regmlex(full, 1, 1), $regmlex(pcre, 1, 1), (?: $+ $regmlex(pcre, 1, 2) $+ \E)(?(R)|\K), $regmlex(full, 1, 1), $regmlex(full, 1, 3))

; construct a second expression by transforming the result of subbing the placeholder char where the matches occurred
  ; run this against the result of subbing the placeholder into the matches of the \K-modified expression above
  ; and hey presto, you can find the matches with no ambiguity 
  noop $regex(final, $regsubex($1, %exp, %char), $+(/\Q, $replace($regsubex($1, $2, %char), \E, \E\\E\Q, %char, \E(.*?)\Q $+ %char), \E/u))

; if it's a position we seek, we need to subtract all placeholders factored into the result
  if ($prop == pos) return $calc(1 + $regml(final, $3 1).pos - $3 1)
  returnex $regml(final, $3 1)
}

example usage:

Code:
//var -s %str = babababababa, %re = /ba(?=ba$)|baba(?=bababa$)/g | echo -eag $regsubex(%str, %re, X) - $regexm(%str, %re, 1).pos - $regexm(%str, %re, 2).pos

not thoroughly tested but i just wanted to get you your Christmas present quickly smile the basic principle is to modify the expression slightly by adding \K on the end. then compare the result of substituting normally vs. with \K. that will tell you all you need to be able to figure out exactly which substring(s) matched!

"The only excuse for making a useless script is that one admires it intensely" - Oscar Wilde