Originally Posted By: Wims
There is no way that using /timer + /msg is going to be faster than /msg itself, unless you are overriding /msg in a way that take into account if it's used from a timer, somehow, but assuming you don't have a custom /msg alias (and no custom /timer alias), what you are saying is not possible.

Note that when you send a message from mIRC, mIRC locally display the message to the window, because you won't get a PRIVMSG from the server for your own message, so in the client sending the messages, all of them will appear instantly, regardless if you are ircop or not, while a different client on the channel will have to wait for the PRIVMSG from the server, we can easily assume there will be a small delay due to the lag from the sender + the time it took for the IRC server to parse the message and send it back to all clients accordingly.

On the first video, when I pause around 1sec, you can see that the mIRC client sending the messages already displayed all the number from 0 to 20, while on the second video, if you pause around the same amount of time, mIRC only displayed 0 1 and 2, this is all correct since /msg happens instantly, while the /timer will add a small delay.

On the first video, the receiver is getting the first nine messages within the same second, the next seven messages within another same second, and the last 3 within the same second, this seems correct.
However on the second video, the receiver sees everything at the same time, which is indeed weird.

You can use /debug @win to see what mIRC is sending.

Yeah, I've not modified msg or timer in any way. The only reason I thought to try a timer was due to thinking that it might be some sort of asynchronous method that'd somehow get processed faster.

Now that I look in debug its painted a different picture and is more clearly a server issue.

http://i.gyazo.com/28a1a28b6c9c8027063d743233bdaa16.png

Is the output.

Test one was the same message script above. Test two was with timers and test 3 was a direct copy and paste. It seems like the timers slow the messages down just enough to not trigger the flood check on the IRC server. Just a bit odd that directly pasting and pressing enter does not also trigger this flood protection. Perhaps this is an issue that has been encountered before with multiline pastes that a specific fix/slowdown was introduced to get around this?

The server is running a pretty old version of UnrealIRCd. Will ask the server admin to see if theres anything their end they can do.

Thanks for your responses

Last edited by Plornt; 28/07/15 09:10 PM.