Off and on for the past few months I have been trying to figure out how to make a good song request system. Here is what I have found/planned so far:
1. As each user requests a song, it will be stored in a text file. (I forgot to add here, that it would be SUPER neat if I could somehow send these song requests straight from MIRC to my local webpage. Using AJAX I think I could intercept this data and make things work.)
2. Using my own local server I will set up a web page that will play these songs in a playlist (similar to nightbot). I have yet to study how to make a playlist with youtube links, but I am sure hoping it doesn't involve complicated code trying to find out if/when a song has finished. I should hope that there is a simple way to create a temporary playlist that automatically deletes a song once it has been played.

Here is where I need help. So far, I have been stuck on how to use this google api
http://gdata.youtube.com/feeds/api/videos/R0xoMhCT-7A

to determine if a youtube url is valid or not.

I don't want anything fancy. I have tried using all sorts of scripts online, but they either A. assume that you put a valid link in, and obviously return valid info on it or B. are a complicated mess that are meant to just give json data on a url.

All I need is a simple way to see if there is a 404 error, or a 200 "good to go" response. I should think this should be accomplished in less than 10 lines of code right?

Thanks for any help, I would not be here if I were not at wit's end.
Jon

Last edited by darthclide; 25/06/14 05:58 PM. Reason: wanted to make a point about using ajax