Thanks, Wims. I had in deed considered what you've suggested, but I really wanted to make doubly sure there wasn't another way to accomplish my goal. Replacing !32-127 leaves only 37% of all possible characters visible. CP437 is somewhat the traditional character set used by hex editors, and since people (including myself) often recognize many bytes by their CP437 glyphs, I wanted my dumps to have as little substitution as possible.

Anyway, like said above, it seems unwanted UTF-8 decoding was not the problem after all; rather, it is that:

* mIRC won't display characters 128, 130-140, 142, 145-156, 158-159 properly in any font (that I am aware of)

* mIRC substitutes another font for Terminal when trying to display characters 160-255 with it (even though mIRC displays characters 160-255 in other non-truetype, non-UTF-8 fonts, like this one, without font substitution).

To your or anyone else's knowledge, is there any explanation for these issues? Can you tell me whether my /ascii alias (see my previous post) produces both issues for you too (to rule out machine-specific problems at my end)? If no and yes, then I suppose I should report both as bugs.