Hi pball,
Yeah, the methods you mention are the methods I've been using - just look for the bit I'm interested in, write code specifically for that bit.
More specifically:
open file
seek to something interesting
handle that
seek to something interesting that may be across multiple lines
- go here
read line
deal with it
if this isn't the line where I stop caring, go to '- go here' (either an actual go to, or a 'while' loop)
etc. etc.
close file
The up side to that is that it's very fast.
The down side is that you do have to put in bits of code for every specific little thing, dealing with odd scenarios and practically needing debug output to see what the code is doing up to that point.
Yeah, I'm trying to keep external dependencies down to a minimum. In another language I have access to .NET and the DOM for an HTML document is presented to me as an object to query and manipulate at free will. Unfortunate I can't interface with that

As it is, I would have preferred to stay away from domxml.dll, but it's just one file which wasn't too bad - except for the whole XML vs not-quite-XML thing.. not to mention the security issue.. yikes.