Originally Posted By: Riamus2
Um... Why in the world would you do that? Strikethrough is normally not used to edit someone else's message except in a shared document type of situation where you want to keep track of who did what.

Anyhow, I'm not saying it can't be used. I'm just saying that it really doesn't have a real use other than "just because." There are many more things I'd rather see implemented than something that doesn't have a good use for it. And because the majority of reasons people use strikethrough elsewhere don't really apply to IRC, I think that even if it's added to the "todo" list that it is placed at the bottom.

Most formatting options are "just because." Bold, italics, underline, colours, are all just used to highlight text, to differentiate it from other text, or to make things look pretty. Strikethrough can also be used to highlight parts of text; namely mistakes.

If somebody wanted help with a long script and you only needed to change part of it, you could use a strikethrough to indicate which part of the code to change, as I showed above.

Strikethrough has its uses just like other formatting options. One isn't really any more useful than the other.

That said.. I'm not sure it's worth the effort of adding it myself as other clients won't support the control code.