I've been researching like mad to fix this issue, but I can't seem to find exactly what's ailing my IRC. I can fully connect to the IRC server I want to, it just takes a while. The connection seems to pause after

[17:14] -irc.fossiltechnology.com- *** Looking up your hostname...
-
[17:14] -irc.fossiltechnology.com- *** Couldn't resolve your hostname; using your IP address instead

It refuses to connect on its own. I figured out after a while that if I try to communicate with the server (ie: /join or /privmsg) it will fully connect after about a minute or two, complete with auto-joining channels. Something to note is that once the server fully connects, the command I tried using will come out incomplete (if I type /join the server will say "OIN Unknown command" when it loads - /privmsg "RIVMSG Unknown command).

I moved from Massachusetts to Arizona recently and did not have this problem back home. ISP problem? Router problem?

Perhaps related: when I first wake my computer up it takes FOREVER for the internet to work for me. I generally turn it on (very fast load times), open up Firefox, and open all my favorite web pages. Even thought my computer is connected to the internet, I get "Problem Loading Page" warnings all over the place for the first 5 minutes. It's not like we have slow interent here, either. After the "warm up" for the internet the first time I connect the pages laod as they should.

It's not exactly fatal, just annoying, and I'm sure I explained it poorly, but if anyone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated.