Riamus, you bring out a few concepts in your reply which are worth exploring (if only to allow others to see what is happening).

When I replied orginally, I thought that you had one version of mIRC! What I was trying to bring out is *good practice*.

Ok - if you are working with multiple versions of mIRC (for whatever reason), then installing to separate folders is the most logical thing to do.

The issue I was responding to was the installation of multiple copies of mIRC (of the same version). Managing a single version of mIRC (with only one installation) through the use of command-line parameters is a more efficient and effective.

What you are saying about storing the script and configuration files in different folders is also logical and (depending on what you are doing) does make managing these files cleaner.

But you only need one executable (noting single version), and using command line parameters (perhaps in a short cut in each of the folders?) gives greater control over which script files are used where. This also allows for re-use of script files (better configuration management) instead of copying between folders, if that suits your needs. Script once, use many times!

Yes, partly a matter of opinion - but I think it is better to describe a cleaner way of doing it for the uninitiated than trying to describe an old way (which has been superseded for a large number of versions IIRC).

Cheers

DK

Darwin_Koala

Junior Brat, In-no-cent(r)(tm) and original source of DK-itis!