I have windows xp and the upgrades. I have installed 3 different versions of mIRC and each one has this same problem. Whenever I try to initiate a send, receive something or try a dcc chat I get the error message "mIRC has encountered a problem and needs to close" and then mIRC crashes. I have verified all the settings and made sure that dcc is enabled and followed all the other helpful hints on this site. I am not connected through a router; direct connect to modem. I have disabled my firewall and also tried allowing an exception for mIRC. I have completely deleted mIRC and wiped all instances of mIRC from my machine and installed a fresh install without saving any prior information. No one else seems to know why this happens and no one has seen this happen to anyone else before. Does anyone know why this is happening? What can I do to make it stop? Oh, I have also upgraded my drivers for my nic card, my modem, my display adapters and made sure that they were product specific drivers versus the windows generic drivers.
Thank you for your help!