You don't seem to comprehend this simple fact:

You CAN have different colours for EACH event.

What part of that statement do you not understand?

Instead of refusing to admit you can, perhaps you should ask how, or re-read the above posts and follow the instructions. It's possible, I do it all the time.

Quote:
To where If I set NICK COLOR to Cyan it doesnt change NOTICES to CYAN just because they were both white each one should be able to function on its own thus having an unlimited color pallete.

In this case, it would change NOTICES to cyan because they share the same colour.. You can FIX this by simply CHANGING notices from cyan to another colour in the palette (DONT right click the same slot, left click another) and THEN change the colour for that slot. Make sure you choose a slot that is NOT in use by another colour, otherwise modifying it will also change the other event. It should be easy to find a slot that isn't in use by anything else.

Again, this will work for 16 different events. You're limited to that amount. It shouldn't be a problem.. if it is, you're asking for unlimited amount of colours, NOT some deep-rooted change in the colour system.

Here's some simple math:

There are ~30 different items that can be coloured using Alt-k.

There are 16 different colour slots/indexes to choose from.

3 of the ~30 items are backgrounds, and many of the remaining items are related (editbox text colour, second editbox text colour, listbox colour, treebar item colour, and then join/part,kick/ban). By my estimation, that leaves roughly 20 "non-similar" items to be colourized, very close to the 16 colours available to be used.

But realistically, themes rarely ever use more than 6 or 7 colours and generally only 3-4 of those are commonly used, the others being for more rare occasions (like the notify event or "gray list" items). If you hit 16, you're either trying to draw a rainbow with mIRC or you were a clown in your past life. It really should not be an issue.

If mIRC *were* to somehow allow "individual" colours for each item, it would then be *impossible* to do something like:

//echo 4 -a hi

and expect it to echo whatever colour was set to the 4th colour index in alt-k. You would have to manually specify the colour you wanted either via some $rgb() identifier or using $color(). That is ridiculous, and it's probably never going to happen in mIRC's lifetime. The ability to refer to colours by their palette index is a far better approach, and I pity xchat greatly if it doesn't have this behaviour.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"