I'd like to express my opinion regarding your implementation of regular expressions.

1. PCRE is quite possibly the poorest choice you could make, considering there are chances that the regular expressions used could be quite complex, and over 30 characters in length. See this site for benchmarks regarding the Perl regular expression engine (which is very similar to the PCRE engine): http://swtch.com/~rsc/regexp/regexp1.html (and note the difference in Y-axis scale in the first graphs) ...

2. Despite what you think, it is in your best interest to provide documentation for your product, so developers find it easier to migrate from other programming/scripting languages. Simply stating "It is beyond the scope of this help file to explain how Regular Expressions work. There are many websites on the internet that introduce regular expressions and provide examples." is ridiculous. What if someone assumes they can use a different flavour? At the very least, provide a link to a tutorial for P[expletive removed] C[expletive removed] R[expletive removed] E[expletive removed] in your next release?

edit: url wasn't working. I blame the trailing elipsis.

Last edited by Khaled; 01/07/08 03:38 PM.