I have looked at this dialog as per acknowledgement of what I see everything should work as mentioned for deleting, as even the removal process has "" (quotes). The only thing I would think that would prevent you deleting anything is an invalid CHR recongnize by the script has a script command. (I would remove the . before remove in the delete portition of your script and then look in your status window when you click on delete) should give you a verbose of what is actually happening. I even double checked the local alias delete and ran a test and it deletes the file from list. What im wondering is the files you are downloading do they start with a _ im not clear of what you wrote on top yet but it seems your adding a _ in the list now if that's the case and you click on delete it will delete the file from the list but won't delete from the HDD since the string does not match.

As for animate what do you mean by this? Do you wish your dialog to open a certain way or load your hash file into the list?

Code:
if $reality > $fiction { set %sanity Sane }
Else { echo -a *voices* }