Originally Posted By: Lpfix5
sorry I wish there was a better explanation of regex I only get stuff from knowledge and from sites but alot is php regex or c# regex that i get which is a tad different from mIRC
mIRC uses PCRE, there is the PCRE man page

Quote:
*$ is not even used apparently in mirc because when I tried a simple state like this ^(what|that|mat)*$ if i used *$ it didnt work while without *$ it searched the beginning for.. ()
$ matches the end of the line. The asterisk means 0 or more (of whatever pattern precedes it), it's not a general wildcard char like in iswm. //echo -a $regex(whats up,/^(what|that|mat).*$/) would match, but ".*$" is kind of pointless. //echo -a $regex(up to you,/you$/) matches as "you" is the end of the string, //echo -a $regex(up to you.,/you$/) won't match.

Quote:
would I be correct in saying that $regsubex returns data that it find in (here|here) the use of $remove is of course to remove that data.

No, the $remove() is to remove $chr(9) (I could have added a \t into the RE to do it). That $resubex() has an empty substitute field, it returns whatever is left AFTER the matches are substituted with <nothing>.

Quote:
But how I learnt regex is that if ^ isin the beginning and after the ( like so (^ it becomes isnot so example (^[^<]*> would isnot [ isnot < matches *

'^' negates a character class IF it's the first char in the class. following a parenthesis like that^ is the usual "at the beginning of the string"
[aei] matches an "a" an "e" or an "i".
[^aei] matches anything that is NOT an "a" an "e" or an "i".