Originally Posted By: genius_at_work

if ($regex(%var,/(alpha|beta|gamma|delta)/)) blah

vs

if ((alpha isin %var) || (beta isin %var) || (gamma isin %var) || (delta isin %var)) blah

bad example ;>

Code:
if ($count(%var,alpha,beta,gamma,delta)) blah

regex is powerful, yes, especially when coupled with mirc's nifty $regsubex. but it's a highly overused fad which i see abused a lot

the problem is that scripters get excited after learning something new like regex and tend to fall under its spell. for every task they're given they'll immediately believe regex should be used to solve it. this leads to severe gaps in scripting logic

what i recommend is exhausting every non-regex involved option first, carefully consider if something more suitable exists. then, either as a matter of interest or to improve efficiency by all means go ahead and regexize it! :P

obviously i'm not saying regex should never be used, but if you're interested in actual scripting and discovering scripting techniques (perhaps even developing the skills needed for a programming language) you'll use it less and only when it's suitable to do so

"The only excuse for making a useless script is that one admires it intensely" - Oscar Wilde