Just a general response first:

no no no, don't change the interface. It's perfect the way it is, it doesn't need to look prettier. I like how it's nice and simple.

I was just suggesting to make the notify list track a bit more information, is all.

Riamus2:

Yes, usually you're on the same channel, but I'll also use mine to talk to people without being on a channel a lot.

You came to the same conclusion I was making. People don't want to have to learn all that stuff and go through all that bother and won't if they don't need to.

But would it not make more sense to improve the technology to better serve the desires of the users rather than trying to change the users to fit the technology?

Most users are not going to go through the hassle of messing with scripts. If it don't do what they want out of the box, they'll go use a different product that does.

There seem to be a lot of die hard vetran users that are resistant to change, but nothing need be done to inconvience them.

You can add all the new features people want, make the product more user friendly, and make it appeal to a broader user base, while still giving users the option of disabling, or just not using the features they don't want. You can make both groups happy. You could even produce two versions of the product. A user friendly, feature rich one, to appeal to the general internet user, and a slim, simplified version, for those that want that.

I think everyone here really likes this product, and would like to see more people using it, and see it selling more copies, but to do that, you kinda need to give it something people will see as value for their money. If they can get something else for free that does more, well...

I think, by the loyalty mIRC has, it's doing a lot right, but at the same time, you can see the popularity of other chat applications, so they must be doing something right too. mIRC users seem to like things simple and straightforward and functional--and not bloated with things that aren't necessary. So maybe look at what people want, look at what is actually useful, and encorporate that. Build something more functional, while still retaining the simplicity and efficiency. smile

Or something... I need to sleep. :P