If you want to trigger an event when you go away, you could include a seperate alias within your away statment, like

Code:
/away {
  /away
  set %away.seconds 0
  /custom-alias <~~~~ make this be your event, or trigger your event
  /another-alias <~~~ do something else with this... 
  .timer.away 0 1 away-alias (or command) <~~ set a timer for another alias or command, whatever you want. 
} 

/away-alias {
  inc %away.seconds
  set %away.total $replace($duration(%away.seconds),hrs,hs,hr,h,mins,m,min,m,secs,s,sec,s)
} 

As far as keeping track of your time, you could set a variable to the time you went away, and then set a timer to keep track of the seconds (or minutes) away.... increment it one second at a time, and then use this on return:
Code:

/msg $chan Im now back after %away.total

I use this for mine. It doesnt have days or weeks in it, because if im away that long, i type /quit cool

You sound like your away time isnt your goal, but maybe you could use this type of example to keep track of your active time as well... set a variable to your time away, then subtract the difference?... im not sure what youre exact goal is, but maybe this would help.

Scripto ---- Life is about the relationships. The correct code being: $replace($them,$you,$me)