I don't know if this was reported before, since it's difficult to search for this subject by entering anything other than short keywords.

In the past, people used "!" as a shortcut for /halt in events (especially RAW events). This was deprecated and doesn't seem to work anymore.
Other than that, "!" is used as a /command prefix to tell mIRC not to process the command as an alias, and also as a NOT modifier for most if-else/while operators.

That said, I guess mIRC isn't consistent with "!" inside an if-else/while statement in a single line. Try the test aliases below:
Code:
alias some_alias_here { return echo -ag * This $1 be echoed }
alias test1 { if (1) !$some_alias_here(WON'T) }
alias test2 { if (1) ! $+ $some_alias_here(WON'T) }
alias test3 { !$some_alias_here(WILL) }
alias test4 {
  if (1) {
    !$some_alias_here(WILL)
  }
}

Only /test3 and /test4 will work, and /test1 will also try to send "$some_alias_here(WON'T)" to the IRC server, forgetting to evaluate the identifier.
The behaviour above will be reproduced if you use /else or /while instead of /if.

It'll also work if you replace "! $+ $some_alias_here" by "$+(!,$some_alias_here)", but that's not really the point, since I'm talking about an inconsistence. That's not something urgent to fix, though.

Last edited by cold; 21/12/06 10:45 AM.

* cold edits his posts 24/7