I think I now understand your concept. However, the difference is that C (and variants) is a compiled language - mIRC scripting is an interpreted language.

The benefit of the C #define comes at the compilation stage, the short code is inserted instead of calls to functions - this makes compilation a little bit easier (and there are some benefits at run time, depending on the nature of the code).

However, in the interpreted language case (i.e. mIRC), the interpreter would have to find the code snippet, insert it into the script in memory, and the continue execution. In this case, it is quicker and easier just to find the alias or identifier (/xx or $xx), and then continue with execution.

The C #define statement has some nuances about passing of parameter any attempt to do the same for the interpreted mIRC scripting language would also introduce nuances (C #define interpretation of parameters is very literal). Would these be interpreted as "bugs" or "features"?

Bottom line, nice thought and discussion, but I don't think it is necessary or "improved".

Cheers,

DK

Darwin_Koala

Junior Brat, In-no-cent(r)(tm) and original source of DK-itis!