The real problem is with the real bad way your using * to try and match to tokens sepeatered by "×", the matching system is placed under huge stress to try and match up what you want becuase of what "*" means, it doesnt stop at the next "×" but tries matching for none or all of the remaining text.

You should have made your data matchable using SPACE as the token sperator (using "×" to replace spaces in any token if need be) this would have allowed you to match using "&" for any word match.

here is an example.
Code:
alias testfilter2 {
  var %ticks = $ticks
  var %w = @ChannelList1 | window %w | clear %w
  aline -p %w Network1 #channel1 <NOKEY> OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF ON OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF DESCRIPTION×OF×SOMETHING OFF
  aline -p %w Network1 #channel1 <NOKEY> OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF ON OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF DESCRIPTION×OF×SOMETHING OFF
  window @TMP | clear @TMP
  ; var -s %filter = $makewm2(23,$+(1 *,$chr(215),15 ON,$chr(215),21 OFF)) | ; aka 1 *×15 ON×21 ON
  ; ^ I dont see the purpose of setting token one to * as thats what it was to begin with anyway. So i dont do it (but if it was done speed isnt overly different)
  var %filter = $makewm2(23,$+(    $chr(215),15 ON,$chr(215),21 OFF)) | ; aka    ×15 ON×21 ON
  ///echo -s filter -wwc %w @TMP %filter
  filter -wwc %w @TMP %filter
  echo -s $calc(($ticks - %ticks) / 1000)
}
alias makewm2 {
  var %t = $chr(215), %a = $asc(%t), %total = $1, %toks = $2-
  var %i = 1, %wm = * | while (%i < %total) { var %wm = & %wm | inc %i }
  var %total = $numtok(%toks,%a), %i = 1 | while (%i <= %total) { tokenize 32 $gettok(%toks,%i,%a) | var %wm = $puttok(%wm,$2-,$1,32) | inc %i }
  return %wm
}

However I can see that trhis might be hard to do considering it would appear you have alot of script already completed.
here is another option.
Code:
alias testfilter3 {
  var %ticks = $ticks
  var %w = @ChannelList1 | window %w | clear %w
  aline -p %w Network1×#channel1×<NOKEY>×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×ON×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×D SCRIBE×OFF
  aline -p %w Network2×#channel1×<NOKEY>×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×ON×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×DE CRIBE×OFF
  aline -p %w Network3×#channel1×<NOKEY>×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×ON×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×DES RIBE×OFF
  aline -p %w Network4×#channel1×<NOKEY>×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×ON×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×DESC IBE×OFF
  aline -p %w Network5×#channel1×<NOKEY>×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×ON×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×DESCR BE×OFF
  aline -p %w Network6×#channel1×<NOKEY>×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×ON×OFF×OFF×OFF×OFF×DESCRI E×OFF
  window @TMP | clear @TMP
  var %filter = $makewm1(23,$+(1 *,$chr(215),15 OFF,$chr(215),21 OFF)) | ; aka 1 *×15 ON×21 ON
  ///echo -s filter3 -wwc %w @TMP %filter
  filter3 -wwc %w @TMP %filter
  echo -s $calc(($ticks - %ticks) / 1000)
}
alias filter3 {
  if (-* iswm $1) { var %switches = $1, %source = $2, %destination = $3, %filter = $+(×,$4-,×) }
  else            { var %switches,      %source = $1, %destination = $2, %filter = $+(×,$3-,×) }
  var %filter = $replacex($left($right($replace(%filter,×*×,×&×,×*×,×&×),-1),-1),$chr(32),$chr(215),$chr(215),$chr(32))
  var %filter = $+($iif(($right(%filter,1) == &),$left(%filter,-1),%filter),*)
  ;
  var %tempspace = $+(@temp.,$ticks,$mid($r(1000000000,1999999999),2))
  savebuf %source %tempspace
  bread %tempspace 0 $file(%tempspace).size &binvar
  breplace &binvar 32 215 215 32
  bwrite %tempspace 0 -1 &binvar
  window -h %tempspace
  loadbuf -r %tempspace %tempspace
  filter $replace($+(-,%switches,$iif(c !isin %switches,c)),--,-) %tempspace %tempspace %filter
  savebuf %tempspace %tempspace
  if ($file(%tempspace).size) {
    bunset &binvar
    bread %tempspace 0 $file(%tempspace).size &binvar
    breplace &binvar 32 215 215 32
    bwrite %tempspace 0 -1 &binvar
    loadbuf -r %tempspace %tempspace
  }
  filter $remove($+(-ww,$iif(c isin %switches,c),$iif(p isin %switches,p)),x) %tempspace %destination
  .remove %tempspace 
  window -c %tempspace 
}

The above uses a altered filter system that does the following.

Adjusts the original filter of ex "*×*×SOMETHING×*×*" to "& & SOMETHING & *"
Creates a workspace window/file name
Saves the source window to a file
loads that file as a binvar
swaps " " for "×" and viseversa in the binvar
saves the binvar back to the file
loads the file into a temp window
filters the tempwindow into itself to get the result set
saves the temp window to a file
if the file isnt zero in size then
.. loads the file as a binvar'
.. swaps " " for "×" and viseversa in the binvar (returning it to the original)
.. saves the binvar back to the file
.. loads the file into the temp window
finally filters the temp window into destination window
and cleans up

** I dont believe this couldnt be fooled but i think it would help u out on the long delay ones **