Thanks to both of you Querty and Mp3dreamz, excellent work both, i was just lost before, i couldnt think of anyway at all to do it.

I took on what was said and solutioned the wrapped/unwrapped lines problem, using a marker on each line that is not wrapped, so when they are reproduced in the @wrap window they can be dealt with according to the marker. This has reduced the displacment problem alot. Im still working on perfecting an exact center, but its very close now.

When creating the original lines, if there unwrapped i lead off with a double ctrl-U

Below is what i added in the example code, but is pretty much the same in the real code.

Code:
alias ex1 {
  window -c @ex1
  window -el20 @ex1
  var %i = 1
  while (%i <= 100) {
    var %line, %j = 100
    while (%j) { var %line = $+(%line,$chr(3),$calc(%j % 16) %i) | dec %j }
    [color:blue]if ($r(0,1)) { aline -p @ex1 Line %i ----- %line } | else { aline @ex1 $str($chr(31),2) $+ Line %i ----- %line }
    ;^ any line not wrapping leades off with to ctrl-u's
    ;[/color]
    iline -l @ex1 1 Line %i
    inc %i
  }
}
menu @ex1 {
  lbclick : { 
    ///echo -st LBCLICK $active : $1- : $line($active,$1,1)
    sline -l $active $1
    var %num = $gettok($line($active,$1,1),2,32)
    var %rev = $chr(22)
    while ($fline($active,$+(%rev,*),1,0)) { rline $active $v1 $mid($line($active,$v1,0),2) }
    rline $active %num $+(%rev,$line($active,%num,0))
    selectmiddleline %num
  }
}  
alias selectmiddleline { 
  var %x = $1, %wanted = $calc($window(@ex1).dh / 2 / $window(@ex1).fontsize) , %t, %text
  window -hf @wrap -1 -1 $window(@ex1).dw $window(@ex1).dh
  while $line(@ex1,%x) != $null {
    %text = $v1
    %t = $line(@wrap,0)
    [color:blue]if ($asc($mid(%text,2)) != 31) { echo -h @wrap %text } | else { echo @wrap . }
    ;^ if second character on line is NOT a ctrl-u then it a wrapped line so display it, else just show a "." to represent a single line
    ; 2nd character as line might be the selected line being ctrl-R,ctrl-U,ctrl-U or an unselected line ctrl-U,ctrl-U
    ;[/color]
    if $calc($line(@wrap,0) - %wanted) > 0 {
      if ($v1 > $calc(%wanted - %t)) { dec %x }
      sline -a @ex1 %x | sline -a @ex1 %x | sline -a @ex1 %x | close -@ @wrap | return 
      ;^ still expreneced the odd aligment problem so simple /sline x3 to fix it.
      ;
    }   
    inc %x
  }
  close -@ @wrap 
  sline -a @ex1 $line(@ex1,0) | sline -a @ex1 $line(@ex1,0) | sline -a @ex1 $line(@ex1,0)
  ;^ still expreneced the odd aligment problem so simple /sline x3 to fix it.
  ;
}

* im still tweaking the alignment somewhat, looking at the idea of seeing how many lines are in the selected line ($1), then halfing that value, would make a selected line of say 5 lines, have only a value of 2.5, which i think well help align it more, but thats for me to have to work out.

Again thanks to both of u for the solution.

DaveC