Hello. Before I start explaining my problem, I'd like to note that I have looked for solutions to this problem and found nothing that could help me. This all started about 24 hours ago. I was on two different IRC servers and was randomly disconnected. Upon trying to reconnect, both servers gave the error:

-
* Unable to connect to server (Connection refused)
-

I thought I was just having a temporary problem, but it hasn't worked since. I have tried every server I can think of, and with different ports, but all attempts have failed. I've also tried connection to the IP address of the servers instead of their names; this also didn't work.

It's also noteworthy that I tried connecting on a different client, called Xchat, and it gave me the same "connection refused" error as mIRC. However, I used a Java client to connect to IRC and it worked. I also reinstalled mIRC, but that didn't help either. The strangest thing about it is that it happened randomly, unprovoked. I was simply chatting and was disconnected, and now this happens. I hadn't played with any mIRC settings or anything.

My internet connection is DirecWAY (now known as HughesNet, satellite internet, sucks big time, I know), and I have been using mIRC with it for over 10 months (the amount of time I've had this crappy connection). I have never had any problems such as this.

All firewalls (ZoneAlarm and Windows) are disabled, and actually weren't even active when this problem occurred, but they both work with mIRC fine, so rule that out. However, my modem has a built-in firewall that is unmodifyable as far as I know. I have tried to find ways to modify/disable it, but found none, which leads me to believe it's impossible. I don't see how this can be the problem, it's never given me problems before (except with BitTorrent, but that's a different subject).

Anyway, I am not sure how much more detail I can put into this. I would really appreciate any help suggestions anyone has, as I use mIRC constantly and it's extremely inconvenient not having it.

Edit: Oh, I'm also on Windows XP Home SP2.

Last edited by NathanM; 25/06/06 06:22 AM.