I am a 20 years old - with 5 years since I tried mIRC for the first tyme, IRC passionate. I got to do scripts and other things, played with channels, bots, friends, accesses (I'm a Undernet dude)... for a year I haven't logged in. Lost contact with some friends and other... but also realised smth when I returned: IRC networks are taking a nose dive. Undernet managed to remain constant, but EfNet is half the size it was last year. Dalnet is down so long I can't remember. 2 Years ago they were saying the last Dalnet servers go down under DOS attacks...
Than I looked to see where is the chatting and comunication need heading to. MSN. Messenger.
I wish mIRC could offer webcam support (even if it is not related to irc networks and just an addon or smth) and voice support. But that has to be good quality and small bandwith. At least between 2 clients (dcc chat is a good example of good resources management). Would be soo nice... Might get back some of the users lost to MSN...
If something is not done I am afraid IRC is going to slowly dissapear or remain a fosile used only by old folkes with families. That is trouly sad, since I have a lot of very pleasent memories related to IRC.