Quote:
Answer: I might, however mIRC is the way I make a living.

Well, actually, he doesn't "make" a living at all, since he doesnt work at all on this client any more. The community is here the one which does all the "work" now, since its the community effect which brings him in new paying users. Today, nobodywould really choose mIRC (and pay for it, when there are such great free alternatives available) without everybody else using it too, and recommending it as practically "the one IRC client".

He, on the other side, ignores them totally. Remember, without its scripting users mirc would neither be as well known, nor as popular in the IRC community. It would be what it is: Just Another IRC Client. (At the time of writing, also an outdated and ugly one.)

mIRC's author, in his delusion of grandeur, chooses to ignore the major selling point of this client: its vast community, and leave the scene in favor of other clients like jIRCii, Xchat, Hydra or Trillian.

Loyal Scriptes who invested so much time on the mIRC platform should punish Khaleds own infidelity towards his community, jump the boat in time, and invest their time in other, free, more promising projects.

Quote:
Another issue is that I've worked on mIRC for many years according to a set of personal beliefs that I know would be inappropriate or inapplicable to others if I release the source code.

Thousands of developers release their work under free licences, which includes great IRC clients on windows too. So I dont see how it could be "inappropriate to others" if he released the source of mIRC under a free software licence.

Quote:
In an environment that's as commercial as Windows, that's difficult to accept.

This is simply not true.