I took this from a post made by Hammer.

Code:
alias mysql.GetNickData {
  ; Open an ADODB Connection object.
  ;
  .comopen mysql.Database ADODB.Connection

; For the purposes of this example, I have shortened the Open method declaration by defining a variable
  ; to hold a proper mysql connection string. Again, if this step does not work for you, then you will need
  ; to install the OLEDB driver from here (picking the closest mirror).
  ;
  var %Connection.String = Provider=MySQLProv;Data Source=mIRC;User ID=root;Password=<edited>

; Open the connection to the mysql database you wish to work with, specified in the Data Source
  ; parameter above.
  ;
  .echo -q $com(mysql.Database, Open, 1, *bstr, %Connection.String)

; Open an ADODB Recordset object.
  ;
  .comopen RecordsetObject ADODB.Recordset

; Again, to shorten the Open method line, I have put the SQL I want to use to populate the recordset 
  ; inside a variable.
  ;
  var %SQL = SELECT * FROM mp3s;

; Open the recordset object using the previously setup SQL variable on the Connection object.
  ;
  .echo -q $com(RecordsetObject, Open, 1, *bstr, %SQL, dispatch, mysql.Database, int, 1, int, 3, int 1)

; The Collect property is an undocumented shortcut way to grab just the value held in the fields
  ; which are zero-based. As you can see from the SQL above, I have specified 3 fields I wish returned: 
  ;
  ; * FirstName (field 0)
  ; * LastName (field 1)
  ; * Gender (field 2)
  ;
  ; So, I grab the data from the FirstName field and store the result in the variable %Name.
  ; 
  .echo -q $com(RecordsetObject, Collect, 2, i4, 0)
  var %Name = $com(RecordsetObject).result

; Then I grab the data from the LastName field and add it to the %Name variable.
  ;
  .echo -q $com(RecordsetObject, Collect, 2, i4, 1)
  var %Name = %Name $com(RecordsetObject).result

; Then I grab the Gender data and put it in its own variable, surrounded by parentheses.
  ;
  .echo -q $com(RecordsetObject, Collect, 2, i4, 2)
  var %Gender = ( $+ $com(RecordsetObject).result $+ )

; Now I can return or display the results from the database query to the active window.
  ;
  if ($isid) return %Name %Gender
  else echo -gaitc info * $1 is %Name %Gender

; And finally, (being the neat little programmer that I am) I close the two objects I have used.
  ;
  .comclose RecordsetObject
  .comclose mysql.Database
}

note: I changed a few things around but I tried the example shown in Hammers post, even created the table, installed the driver, etc and still got an error.

-
* Invalid parameters: $com (line 60, mysqldb.mrc)
-
Line 60:
Code:
.echo -q $com(RecordsetObject, Open, 1, *bstr, %SQL, dispatch, mysql.Database, int, 1, int, 3, int 1)

%SQL:
Code:
var %SQL = SELECT * FROM mp3s;

Whenever typing the alias, the MySQL Name Data Source dialog appears.

Any ideas why this is encountering an error?

When issuing the /mysql.getnickdata