I made no assumptions, I just stated it is useful and it would be more useful if it was meaningful.

I am sure you have come against countless number of chatters that deserved a perm ban and you only got very frustrated because the person was a) on dial-up b) changed nickname/ident/fullname on each connection. So you contacted his ISP and they told you "they will deal with it" or simply ignored you.

I cannot say I would feel insecure by the fact that my ident would be the same. I use the same 2 nicknames for last 7 years. How identifying is that?

I know it is a difficult concept for many to deal with. Yes, it would not stop every "problem" out there, but it would stop a fair few, giving you the time to deal with the others.

The ideas I presented in the original post are for protection of chatters and networks alike. There is nothing sinister there.

I'm just sick and tired of innocent people getting infected by new Trojans, and secondly by having to kill few hundred connections a day because some one just found another web site with free "l337" script. If there is a way to reduce it by a big margin I would like to see it done. mIRC being the most popular client out there can make it happen. I don't see why it would suddenly loose on popularity.

You may find that more people would use IRC if it lost the stigma of being infested with viruses, flooders and all the other nonsense.

frown