mIRC Homepage
The smoke has cleared, and by now everyone has worn out their mirc.hlp and versions.txt looking to see if their feature suggestion made the cut.

The purpose of this thread is to gleem an idea of what features people were really looking forward to seeing, only to have their hopes dashed like so many misfortunate children on christmas morning. :tongue:

There are as many as 996 features that have been suggested on this forum, and only about 35 of them made it into v6.1. Granted, most of the suggestions made here are hastily thought up, or already exist in another shape or form... but there are many that I'm sure we're all suprised didn't make it this time around. This register will help us rehash these last 12 months of feature suggestions and hopefully narrow it down to a top 20 or so, reasonable and/or popular suggestions.

Guidelines (wishful thinking) for this thread:
  1.  Simply state an ultra-brief description of the suggestion, with a link to the original thread where the suggestion was made. Alternatly, just post a long list of links with no descriptions other than the thread's title.
  2.  Don't comment, critique, approve of (me too!) or disapprove of (that sux!) the suggestions in this thread. This should be done in said suggestion's own thread. Including a link to a suggestion that someone else already linked to is not as lame as "Me too!", and is encouraged.

If you think this thread in itsself is lame... you don't have to post nor read it. I also appreciate all of the hard work Khaled has put into mIRC, and don't mean any disrespect or bad karma with this post. This thread is meant as a helpful reminder for anyone interested in knowing which features we'd most like to see. It's also better than 20 seperate threads asking "Why didn't (this-or-that) suggestion make it?"

- Raccoon

PS. Try not to post features just suggested in the past few weeks.
That would be exceedingly tacky. smirk
Well, I see a few additions to $input but I was a little suprised not to see an option to display the colour index dialog added.
here
I don't think this feature made it.. missing DCC/FSERV feature confused
Dalnet != Default network

I got one of my wishes. :tongue:
Support for classes in mirc scripting language
link
Right to left custom windows.......

link..
Rearranging windows on the switchbar
When I installed it still had DALnet as the selected server.
https://forums.mirc.com/showflat.php?Cat=...o=&vc=1 - Add a scrollbar or something to the switchbar when there is no room for more windows

https://forums.mirc.com/showflat.php?Cat=...o=&vc=1 - a way to easily handle modes such as +e/+I

https://forums.mirc.com/showflat.php?Cat=...=true#Post40496 - a way to handle level modes such as +a +q and +u

And extended dialog controls (tree views, list views, etc.)
The server is picked randomly now - according to the Versions.txt anyway and it's a good and fair approach. I didn't bother to check it though as I have my own servers.ini with only four servers (One network) installed.
· $calias for callstack access
· &rawmsg binvar (what good is $rawmsg if it doesn't preserve spaces) &
· expanded support for binvars in existing string and file commands like /echo and $lines
· a /noop command or '.' $identifier prefix
· $calc(n1 \ n2)
· /showmirc Password Lock flags (ctrl+minimize)
· /bench command
· $countcs (or global /casesensitive state)
· On KeyUp/Down and/or On Tab in #channels
· /switchbar command to manually organize window order.
· /did to add & modify an element's position/attributes.

The above list includes both suggestions I and others have made.

Bugs that still need to be addressed:
· $sock().ip & $sock().port in On Listen should return connecting client's ip & port

Oh, and a new picture of Arnie. *squeakie* grin
Here are a few more:

A way to interface with the command edit box from a dll

Pragma support in scripts

Support for true recursion

Script specific variables

Cid specific variables

[Edit] One more:
Tab identation support
*snip*

On second thoughts, this post would fit much more snugly in a seperate thread.
I think it should have a pin though it.
because you set the install to keep current settings and just had it update.... i believe that would leave it intact as default... as it did mine
$rawmsg preserves the spaces just fine. It would suck if it didn't, but it does smile

Anyway, I'm not really disappointed that I didn't see what I wanted, but I'd really like the ability to make $input modal to desktop dialogs too (kinda like $dialog() can). No link.
Yeah great idea, I would like that $input could do that too. smile
Whoa; a lot of suggestions. I'd love to see mirc go open-source, we have a rather large scripting community happening - perhaps we could squeeze in a few more of these suggestions!
most of the suggestions here and MUCH MUCH MUCH more
I can say I'm pretty disappointed, it took over a year to redesing the dialogs, fix few bugs (many important still remain), and add 2 or 3 usefull things...

btw, does anyone knows if there's a new key combination for the font dialog, it used to be alt+v, but now we got useless menu instead
I want to reiterate, that this thread wasn't intended to be a bash or serious cry of disappointment, by any means.

Burried in my sarcasm and satire, is the functional purpose of bringing foward these suggestions that many of us had been hoping to see and still hope to see in some future version... rather than being forgotten about. If I'm not mistaken, Khaled has historically added more features in all x.yz revisions, than in the actual x.y versions.

It was my intent to create a quick-reference list without sounding like a complaint. Judging by the number of priv-msgs I've received, it was still interpreted as a complaint. I'm not that petty to complain about such things, especially when it would only turn a deaf ear in my direction.

- Raccoon
- An addition to /filter to be able to modify "on the fly" the lines filtered before the final output. It would need a custom alias (identifier) that returns the final line

- The ability to perform real callbacks modifications in the $regsub subsitution-text field. For example: $regsub(a b c,(b),$upper(\1),%v) just works like $regsub(a b c,(b),\1,%v) : we can't perform modifications to the matched strings. (i guess that this change isn't as easy as it seems)

Thanks
Hi. I think I registered here once, but I don't seem to remember my username. Or this board has died, I don't know.

Anyway, there's something in mIRC which has been bothering me for years..... I always hope Mr. K changes it in the next version.... but he doesn't. It is spaces.

I'd like to have a way to play with strings without them being tokenized by white spaces (which eliminates any occurrence of two or more spaces in a row, as well as all of the spaces in both ends of the string). And don't tell me to use $chr(160), because that doesn't always help, and besides it's a very inconvenient solution, in my opinion.

What I suggest is an identifier like $string or something, that allows to play with spaces. Example: var %foo = $string(%foo )
In the above line, a space will be appended to the contents of %foo. Also, if %foo included any multiple spaces or spaces in the beginning/end of it, they will still be there. $string would allow performing mIRC scripting actions without taking away the poor little white spaces.

A different approach would be wrapping strings by quotes. To do that AND keep backwards compatibility, there could be a line prefix, or a command/identifier prefix, which means "any string in the following line/command/identifier must be wrapped by quotes".

In any case, if any mIRC command or identifier tokenizes the input string (with spaces as the delimiters), that behavior should also be changed. And perhaps the way of storing global variables should be changed too, to support multiple spaces.... blah.

There is also a need for an identifier like $args that could be used instead of $1-, only this one would preserve the spaces format. Or $string($1-) could do it.

I'd give more detailed examples, but ironically this board doesn't support multiple spaces as well. And I'm way too tired to start adding that dodgy 160 character thingie.

So please, please add something like this, Mr. K.
I beg you.

- - - - - - - - -

BTW, why is $len($chr(256)) equal to 0? confused
That character put me into a lot of trouble because of that.

Oh, and after reading this thread, here are the stuff I'd like to see as well:

- Rearranging windows on the switchbar
- Right-to-left custom windows
- Add a scrollbar or something to the switchbar when there is no room for more windows.
- Add a query flood protection?
- On KeyUp/Down in all windows
Why a sock?
Quote:
Why a sock?

Hm? Oh, the nickname? You don't wanna know. wink
I want a treeview switchbar. When you are on more then 40 channels on different networks the buttons disapear outside the screen.
for those ppl in that many channels u can script ur own using mdx on the older version of mirc... as for this new thing ... well not yet u cant
I suggested ages ago that the DCC Send window be larger or resizable. At the moment, it's like working through a tiny peephole, searching for just the right file and/or image. Every IM system has a resizable window for file transfer. Can anything be done about this?
I personally drag-drop files from explorer into a query window.

With a little modifying of your Drag-Drop options (Alt+O > Mouse > Drag-Drop), you could also drag a file to a channel window and have it sent a selected nick.

*.*:/dcc send $iif(#,$snick(#,1),$1) $2-
© mIRC Discussion Forums