mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#8362 26/01/03 02:15 AM
S
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
S
Does anyone know of any conflicts between mIRC and AOL. Specifically: computer shutting down and restarting. I am using AOL 8.0 but have also had problems using AOL 7.0 and want to find out what is causing the 'Stop' error on my computer. If anyone knows anything about this please e-mail me. Thanks.
e-mail: superairboy@hotmail.com

#8363 26/01/03 05:31 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I'm unsure as I don't use AOL and never will. If I did and had your problem though the first thing I would do is change my ISP.

#8364 26/01/03 06:21 AM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
What OS are you using? When trying to help someone who didnt listen to me when i said "dont get AOL, whatever you do, DONT get AOL" and had win95, i had to use 16bit version of mIRC until i managed to find AOL's WInsock.dll file (it didnt like trumpet for whatever reason) That was on older versions of aol, so im not sure if that still applies, or if it does with newer OSs. i've read that with 2k,ME, XP on versions 6,7,8 you *shouldnt* need to worry about the winsock.dll. Seems to me it also didnt like port 6667, or any server port other than 7000 or 7001. They are so restrictive in many ways. Hrm, and some xp users (not on aol) have had probs with puter doing that shut down and restart thing.

I know its possible to use mIRC on AOL without probs since i know a couple users who have no choice but to use it. There is info on using mIRC with AOL on several websites, including mirc.com, but mostly they are about older versions of aol. I assume you got mIRC from www.mirc.com? Not using any scripts? Let us know what OS you have and in the meantime i'll try to find the aol users i know and ask them.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
#8365 26/01/03 06:30 AM
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
ok first things first are u running a script or a clean version of mirc ...... cause it is possible to shutdown ur system inside of mirc ........ and well if a crafty scripter has made ur mirc for u well that could be a possiblility ........ if thats not the case i would then scan for a virus of some sort ..... then last thing id also try ...... if u have a motherboard monitor program and its set to shutdown if ur cpu reaches a certain temp ...... again all possibilities and hope one can point u in the direction ur looking for

D3m0nnet.com
#8366 26/01/03 08:17 AM
S
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
S
I am running on Windows XP.

#8367 26/01/03 08:23 AM
S
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
S
I downloaded mirc 6.03 from www.mirc.com and am not using any scripts. I have scanned for viruses using Norton Antivirus 2002. Also, how do i know if I have a motherboard monitor program? and if i do, how do i check for what you suggested in your post?

#8368 26/01/03 08:27 AM
S
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
S
Yeah, if I can't figure out what is going on with my system, I will probably try a different ISP.

#8369 26/01/03 10:04 PM
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
well it could be something internal in your system bios ...... to check this u have to shutdown ur system restart it and press one of several keys to trigger the bios rom screen ....... usually its pressing the delete key on start or F1 ...... then scroll thru the menu that comes up with ur arrow keys ....... dont change anything ur not sure of in this as u can make ur system not even start .......... look for somthing labeld PC health status ...... check the temps it has set for warnings and auto shutdown ...... some motherboards have this built into the bios ...... on other pcs u can dl a program called MotherBoard montior that does roughtly that same task ....... but either way your problem may not be mirc related if your running a clean version of mirc along with that aol connection

its related to something else entirely id have to assume

D3m0nnet.com

Link Copied to Clipboard