mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#272053 20/09/23 03:32 PM
L
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
L
I dont know if this is a bug, or me being obtuse, however, when I hit F1 to open the help file, it is always displaying "almost maximized" (I forget the terminology for it, windowed maybe??). The file works the way it should, I can search it and whatnot. I then hit the square button in the top right corner to maximize it, which it does, but if I close it and reopen it, the same thing happens again. Mirc version 7.75 downloaded from this website on Windows 11 home 22H2 OS Build 22621.2283 (if that helps).

An image can be found HERE.

While the specs are different on my other machine, the same thing happens there too. Windows 7 Professional SP1 mIRC 7.75 downloaded from this website.

Any thoughts?

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
This is standard behaviour for the windows help system. It displays help files based on their last opened location and size.

Khaled #272060 21/09/23 02:30 PM
L
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
L
It's supposed to, but mine does not. On both Windows 7 and Windows 11, the help file does NOT remember its last position. If I maximize the help file, then close it, I have to maximize it again the next, and every time I open it. I know it is SUPPOSED to remember it. That functionality has been in windows for a LONG time. It's just strange that it doesnt do it on my installs of Win 7/11, which is why I posted this report. I may ultimately uninstall and reinstall it to see if that helps. I mean, it's a minor issue to be sure, but annoying for my "everything must work the way it should" mentality lol No hate on you, this program is awesome; I love it, and been using it since about 96 or 97. I'd still recommend it to anybody I know starting off on IRC.

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
I cannot reproduce your issue specifically on Win10 (I can reproduce similar issues with dual screen and my current setup but I'm not sure there's anything mIRC can do)

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The help file size/position is remembered and set by Windows, not by mIRC. mIRC has no control over this. I just tested this in Windows 7 and it is working as expected: Windows is remembering the last size/position of the help window and using it the next time the help file is opened. If this is not working for you, there is an issue with your copy of Windows.

K
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
K
Could it be file corruption?

It looks like Windows 7 stores the data for all the .chm help files here:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\HTML Help\hh.dat

I guess try renaming it so a new one is created.

I have not tested other versions of Windows.

Link Copied to Clipboard