mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
B
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
B
Imagine the following situation: you're on 2 networks and 2 channels with the same name. Let's call the channel '#Test'.

When disabling Logging for #Test on one network via the System menu, the other network still continues to log #Test correctly, so far so good.

The problem begins when having shutdown mIRC and starting it again: now the channel #Test on *both* networks have logging disabled, while the other one should still have Logging enabled.

Looking in mirc.ini the reason becomes clear why this behavior occurs, under [logging] it is only saving
Quote:
#Test=off
instead of for example
Quote:
#Test,network1=off
So, at startup mIRC cannot determine what network to disable logging for and so disables it for all channels with the same name across all networks.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Options > IRC > Logging > "Include network"

Do you have this box checked?

B
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
B
Yes, I have.

K
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
K
I can confirm that disabling logging for "#test" on one network will follow to another network for "#test".

//server irc.dal.net -j #test
Type some stuff in the channel.
You have a log file.
Disable logging for #test on DALnet server
//server -m irc.efnet.org -j #test
Type some stuff, now look for the log file for EFnet network.
The log does not exist since logging for "#test" on DALnet is disabled.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
This behaviour is actually by design. mIRC does not support per network logging settings, so any logging changes you make to a window will apply to that window name/type across all networks the next time a window is opened. The same applies to all window settings, such as background, beeping, flashing, logging, and so on - around fifteen separate settings in the system menu.

In order to add support for per network settings, each window setting would have to allow you to save the setting using four different methods:

Save setting for this window type on all networks
Save setting for this window name on all networks
Save setting for this window type on this network
Save setting for this window name on this network

mIRC has only ever supported the first two methods. Adding support for the other two methods is on my to-do list, however it is not clear how they could be added without making the menu system far more complicated. Adding them would also require users to manage four different methods of saving settings, which seems excessive. As very few users have ever requested per network window settings, this item is low on my to-do list currently.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Personally, I think leaving it at two supported methods, but changing the methods would be best:

Save setting for this window type on all networks
Save setting for this window name on this network

Most people either want all windows of that type on all networks to have a setting, or they want a specific window on a specific network to have a setting. Most people aren't trying to set up the same settings on the same channel name on multiple networks. I think that would be the best option, but maybe people do have a need to set up the settings for a specific channel on all networks that I am not aware of.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
why not have an option in the logging menu to let people check which options they want? Whatever is checked appears in the window menu? Give them the 4 options and let them decide which they want. This way, everybody is happy because they can select what to use and ignore. just a thought.

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it

Link Copied to Clipboard