mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#203674 24/08/08 04:54 AM
T
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
T
I'm not sure if this could be considered a "bug", and I also don't see any major reason to fix it, but I'm just kinda throwing it out there. I was curious to see what would happen to my system if i changed the date to a few seconds before January 1st, 2038 (Most of us have probably heard of the year 2038 'problem', see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem) ... nothing too much happened, but I noticed mIRC's timestamps sort of broke until I updated my time back. THere's a log of when I made the change, then after I put it back:

[08/24/2008 - 00:40:03] <tyler> i imagine
<tyler> -- -0500
<tyler> -- -0500
<tyler> !ping
<G5> tyler: Pong!
<tyler> sdfsf
<tyler> -- -0500
[08/24/2008 - 00:45:52] <tyler> yup

Obviously the messages were sent through to the IRC server, but the timestamps weren't displayed correctly, and my /time command, which returns "$asctime(dddd) $asctime(mmmm) $asctime(dd) $asctime(yyyy) -- $asctime(HH:nn:ss)" ... obviously did not work. Immediatly after I manually reset my time to ~ the correct time, they resumed to work. I'm not sure if this is even worth fixing - similar to how I realize that this wont be a problem for any modern computers (probably not any at all) by the year 2038, considering architecture will be entirely different by then. But like I said, just throwing it out there if it's easily fixable.

-tyler-
M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
I got the same problem here when i tried it.

oh yeah, I changed my time on xp sp2 and it froze explorer. as a matter of fact, the clock still says 3:17 AM and its 3:30 AM right now (and I changed it back!) but my firefox stood strong.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Referencing the link you posted, got me this
Quote:
Wikipedia does not have an article with this exact name. Please search for Year 2038 problem) in Wikipedia to check for alternative titles or spellings.

When the correct reference should've been http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Year_2038_problem

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
You must be bored.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"

Link Copied to Clipboard