mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
P
pcguy Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
P
Is there no way in mIRC to force the use of a particular nick on a IRC server when a automatic reconnect after a disconnect occurs? I have statements in the perform section telling which nick to use but it appears that the perform section is not used on a reconnect.

M
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
M
the perform section does work in every disconnect/connect situation (at least, it does for me)... however, be sure to check that it is enabled, and that the network you're trying to connect to has been added to the list of networks in that section; otherwise, try adding your perform line under "other networks". Also, make sure if the network allows/requires /nickserv register and /nickserv ghost commands. Sometimes nicks won't change because people don't realize that the nick they're trying to use is acknowledged as an actual user until the ghost disconnects...

Edit: Here's an image of what MY perform section looks like, including ghost and identify commands... please notice the mark next to the checkbox that says "Enable perform on connect"

Hope it helps wink

Last edited by Macondo; 23/04/06 07:42 PM.

Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.
P
pcguy Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
P
Have the same settings except for the first 2 lines you show:
/nick
/msg nickserv ghost

instead I have the lines that correspond to your 3rd line and below in my perform commands and the Perform option is enabled.

If I lose the connection to two different IRC servers and mIRC drops the connection to both then instead of using the nick that is indicated in the perform statements it uses the NickName value specified in mIRC CONNECT screen.

Last edited by pcguy; 23/04/06 09:25 PM.
M
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
M
Quote:
instead of using the nick that is indicated in the perform statements it uses the NickName value specified in mIRC CONNECT screen.

That's because, for some technical reason I'm not sure of, when you disconnect from a network other than by doing it on purpose (i.e., your dial-up line hangs up), your nick remains in it as a "ghost", and to put it in simple terms, your old nick (i.e., potato_chip) stays connected until it, for some reason, disconnects with the message "Ping Timeout". So, there's an approximate 30-second lag between the actual disconnection (again, when your dial-up hangs up) and the network disconnection (when your nick "exits" the network)... Therefore, you have to do a /msg nickserv ghost nick password to remove your nick and be able to use it again.
I've re-read this and it keeps sounding complicated... Never mind, feel free to ask again...

Hope it helps wink

Edit: Let's see... here's what happens with MY perform

1. I'm connected to a network
2. My dial-up hangs up
3. I can't see anything from any channels or people (because I'm not connected)
4. My nick is still "connected" even though I'm not.
5. I re-connect, but, since my old nick is still "there", I can't use it.
6. My first perform line acts up, giving me a different nickname
7. With my "new" nickname, I'm able to make the ghost (my old nick) go away, by means of the /msg nickserv ghost command
8. With the third line, and considering my old nick is now gone, I'm able to use it again.
9. I identify with my old nick
10. I join the channels I want
11. Voila!

Last edited by Macondo; 23/04/06 10:18 PM.

P
pcguy Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
P
So are you saying that the nick specified in your
first /msg nickserv line is a temporary nick and not your normal one which is what is specified in the /msg nickserv ghost line?

M
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
M
A-ha... I use that one just to get rid of the other one (the "ghost")

Hope it helps wink

Link Copied to Clipboard