Originally Posted By: NaquadaServ
Let me see if I can explain this to you... Programmers use error handling to catch errors, so script can be written so that those errors don't occur often or at all (sounds like debugging to me).

No, you've missed the point. As already explained, error handling is part of a script's usual behaviour. Sometimes it will receive input which it likes, then perform a function accordingly. This is its usual behaviour.

But every good program/script also has code to ensure that it doesn't break in certain situations. For example, if you had an ON TEXT trigger that performed mathematical division on numbers written in a channel, you'd want to make sure that if a number written was 0 (zero), you don't try to divide by it as that would cause an unhandled error. In languages like Java it will throw an uncaught runtime exception and your program will crash. In some C++ situations the program will also crash.

The code to do this is Error Handling code ... but this has nothing to do with whether or not the code itself is correct.

If your script wasn't working, you'd debug all your code... not only the bit for correct behaviour, but for the error handling code too.

Don't mistake 'error' for 'bug'.

Well now, on the other side, I am wondering why I'm not catching raw events with numeric X (was a case of this in 6.21), so I use /debug to see if that numeric is even being sent from the server. Since in both cases I was trying to find out why something didn't work, I was debugging. Plain and simple.

In this case, yes. /debug has uses as a tool during script creation. However it isn't a tool to debug your scripts. It is a tool to view network traffic which can nonetheless be used to debug your scripts. There IS a difference.

(Rather like a hammer is a tool to secure nails into wood... but I still use a hammer to crack open a coconut.)

Thanks for the writting your guide (many mIRC script don't use :error), but I doubt it would teach me somthing I didn't know already. As you can see from our registration dates, I've been doing this longer than you have. This is of course not including the 10 years of programming experience I had before I joined the forums. smirk

No need for the bragging. Aside from anything, moaning about how much 'experience' you have is all well and good .. except you've revealed that you don't know what error handling is.

<Ingo> I can't uninstall it, there seems to be some kind of "Uninstall Shield"