mIRC Homepage
Posted By: dylan "About mIRC" Dialog not closing - 11/10/03 02:51 AM
I had reported this bug shortly after 6.1 was released, and it still exists in 6.11.

If you remove the Menubar via Options > Display > Show Menubar, then right click on the titlebar and go to Help > About mIRC..., you'll get stuck with an "About mIRC" dialog that is impossible to close. The only way to get rid of it is to open up your Task Manager and kill mIRC.exe.
Posted By: Ashkrynt Re: "About mIRC" Dialog not closing - 11/10/03 05:01 AM
use the Continue button.
Posted By: Collective Re: "About mIRC" Dialog not closing - 11/10/03 05:02 AM
That doesn't work, that's the problem.
Posted By: Nobodi Re: "About mIRC" Dialog not closing - 11/10/03 07:04 AM
Works fine for here.
Posted By: starbucks_mafia Re: "About mIRC" Dialog not closing - 11/10/03 09:45 AM
Is the continue button actually disabled (greyed out) or does it just not work? Also what OS are you using?
Posted By: qwerty Re: "About mIRC" Dialog not closing - 11/10/03 09:54 AM
Although I can reproduce it all the times, it doesn't always happen.
Posted By: Raccoon Re: "About mIRC" Dialog not closing - 11/10/03 11:07 AM
Confirmed here.
v6.10 on Win98SE.

View > Menubar... (hides Menubar)
Right-Click Titlebar > Help > About... (shows About dialog)

Cannot close window via Continue button or Alt+F4.

(note: Unconventional means exist to WM_ENABLE the main mIRC window so you can close it gracefully. Downlaod CopyText if this interests you, a handy little app.)

- Raccoon
Posted By: zack Re: "About mIRC" Dialog not closing - 11/10/03 11:35 AM
Are you a registered user? I believe this only affects registered users.
Posted By: Collective Re: "About mIRC" Dialog not closing - 11/10/03 11:36 AM
Not greyed out, and windows XP Home.
Posted By: Collective Re: "About mIRC" Dialog not closing - 11/10/03 11:37 AM
The about dialog can be opened whether you're registered or not.
Posted By: Techster Re: "About mIRC" Dialog not closing - 11/10/03 11:37 AM
Can't reproduce the problem, but it did send a connect event after I clicked continue.
Posted By: zack Re: "About mIRC" Dialog not closing - 11/10/03 11:38 AM
No you didn't understand me. This was reported on mIRCScripts.org forums for 6.1 (and here as well I believe), and the common trend was that only non-registered users could disable the menubar, load the about dialog and close it. Registered users couldn't close it.
Posted By: Collective Re: "About mIRC" Dialog not closing - 11/10/03 11:41 AM
I read your post as saying "unregistered" users, so decided you thought it only opened for unreged users.

/me pays more attention
Posted By: zack Re: "About mIRC" Dialog not closing - 11/10/03 11:58 AM
Ahh sorry no that was my fault, I did write unregistered users to begin with, then I edited it. Very sorry, you're not going crazy lol grin
Posted By: codemastr Re: "About mIRC" Dialog not closing - 11/10/03 03:55 PM
Quote:
(note: Unconventional means exist to WM_ENABLE the main mIRC window so you can close it gracefully. Downlaod CopyText if this interests you, a handy little app.)

Nope. Sure, WM_ENABLE will enable the button, but mIRC will ignore you clicking it until its "timer" has completed.
Posted By: Raccoon Re: "About mIRC" Dialog not closing - 11/10/03 05:07 PM
uh, what?

I wasn't talking about enabling any button or circomventing any timer.

I was simply explaining that you can enable the parent window of a model dialog (wish mIRC didnt use model dialogs, just modeless on-top dialogs), and then gracefully close mIRC down... or simply hide the about dialog from view.

mIRC doesn't even have any disabled button on a timer to bypass, but contrary to your statement.. many programs using this method CAN be bypassed by simply enabling the button and clicking on it, because most authors don't go the extra mile to add secondary state flags in their code when they can simply check Object.Enabled, which is of course influenced by WM_ENABLE.

- Raccoon
Posted By: codemastr Re: "About mIRC" Dialog not closing - 11/10/03 05:17 PM
Oh my mistake, I thought you were saying to WM_ENABLE the "continue" button.
Posted By: JoNaS_MaN Re: "About mIRC" Dialog not closing - 12/10/03 04:09 PM
Works fine for here.
© mIRC Discussion Forums