mIRC Homepage
Posted By: NTVgog Unicode in debugging windows - 26/02/11 05:02 PM
Hello,

When I enable the mIRC debugging windows, and then paste any unicode characters in any chat window, such as ěščřžýáíéúůťňď (visible depending on your browser's unicode support and correct font) then those special characters are not rendered properly in the debugging window. I have confirmed this issue with other people.
Posted By: FroggieDaFrog Re: Unicode in debugging windows - 26/02/11 10:12 PM
are they showing up as rectangles because it might be the font you are using doesn't support the characters you are trying to display.

Personally I recommend the DejaVu set.

I am presuming you are using something similar to /debug @raw so after creating the window, try using /font @raw <fontsize> <fontname> to see if the outcome changes smile

Posted By: NTVgog Re: Unicode in debugging windows - 26/02/11 10:31 PM
I am using the same font I am using in the chat window - the chat windows shows the characters correctly. It is only the debugging window.

The debug window does not show rectangles (or any other substitute character) it just shows plain wrong characters. Just try it yourself: &#283;š&#269;&#345;žýáíéú&#367;&#357;&#328;&#271; put those things in the chat window - they will display correctly, but will display wrongly in debug window.

The only thing that comes to my mind as an explanation for this behavior is that the debug window splits the 2-byte characters (the ones which are unicode and not mapped to ANSI or ASCII) into 2 1-byte characters.
Posted By: hixxy Re: Unicode in debugging windows - 26/02/11 10:36 PM
Confirmed.
Posted By: FroggieDaFrog Re: Unicode in debugging windows - 26/02/11 10:44 PM
Yup, confirmed with 7.18 beta

Just Help Khaled out, the debug window text looks like:
Quote:
Ä&#155;ščÅ&#153;žýáíéúůťÅ&#136;
Posted By: Sat Re: Unicode in debugging windows - 27/02/11 12:10 AM
This is by design.

Originally Posted By: versions.txt
17/02/2006 - mIRC v6.17

44./debug windows now show raw text without interpreting multibyte or utf text.
Posted By: jaytea Re: Unicode in debugging windows - 27/02/11 04:05 AM
there is a simple way for you to view Unicode in your debug window or file. when enabling debug mode, use the following line:

Code:
/debug -i @debug utfdecode
Posted By: Tomao Re: Unicode in debugging windows - 27/02/11 07:18 AM
Is't it
Quote:
$utfdecode()
The dollar sign and string are missing. Or was it done that way on purpose?
Posted By: argv0 Re: Unicode in debugging windows - 27/02/11 07:51 AM
It was on purpose. Perhaps you should try commands before attempting to correct them.
Posted By: Tomao Re: Unicode in debugging windows - 27/02/11 08:24 AM
Originally Posted By: argv0
Perhaps you should try commands before attempting to correct them.
I wasn't sure, and I wasn't "attempting" to "correct," just showing it in a colored highlight in question so I can be given an answer to it. You didn't have to sound discourteously harsh to put me in a tight spot. Just because you know, doesn't mean other people do.
Posted By: jaytea Re: Unicode in debugging windows - 27/02/11 08:26 AM
as with /filter -k, mIRC takes the <alias> argument you've supplied to /debug (which incidentally, unlike in /filter, may contain spaces), encloses it in '$' and '($1-)' and evaluates the result.

with this:

Code:
/debug -i @win utfdecode

mIRC evaluates $utfdecode($1-), which is acceptable.

with this:

Code:
/debug -i @win $utfdecode()

mIRC evaluates $$utfdecode()($1-), which is not acceptable, as it always evaluates to $null.
Posted By: Tomao Re: Unicode in debugging windows - 27/02/11 08:41 AM
Thank you very much, jaytea. I appreciate your taking the time for the explanation.
Posted By: NTVgog Re: Unicode in debugging windows - 27/02/11 10:17 AM
I can confirm that the following code:

Code:
/debug -i @debug utfdecode

solves my issue. Thank you.
© mIRC Discussion Forums