mIRC Homepage
Posted By: STiCKpIN SSL Support - 18/10/03 11:46 AM
Hi! Is it possible to add ssl support in new version of mIRC? Because alot of networks already support SSL and to use external programs(addons) is not so good idea.

Thanks beforehand.
STiCKpIN
Posted By: siyavash Re: SSL Support - 18/10/03 11:48 AM
Cool idea!
Posted By: landonsandor Re: SSL Support - 18/10/03 11:57 AM
Using the search feature you would see #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9

And that was just the FIRST page of ALL dates in the FEATURE SUGGESTION board using the SEARCH feature
Posted By: STiCKpIN Re: SSL Support - 18/10/03 12:09 PM
Readed all this... And dont get the answer on my question... To tell a stuff about US law, sorry but its stupid. Why? FlashFXP developed in US too, and support SSL like a charm... SO??? If mIRC developer too lazy to add few lines of code to support two dlls, is not depends of US law.

Sorry, for this.
And Thanks.
Posted By: landonsandor Re: SSL Support - 18/10/03 12:17 PM
ok, so if you read ALL of the posts regarding SSL you'd know that people have suggested it in the past and a small by loyal following think it's a great idea. If we were on the OLD boardfs I could prolly give you about 100 links or so regarding SSL threads alone. Im not vetoing the idea, just stating it's been discussed many times before and that searching the boards would show you what exactly has been discussed etc. To answer you question, sure it's possible, but that doesnt mean it's probable smile
Posted By: LocutusofBorg Re: SSL Support - 18/10/03 02:38 PM
Quote:
FlashFXP developed in US too

mIRC isn't developed in the USA. Khaled lives in the UK.
Posted By: codemastr Re: SSL Support - 18/10/03 06:34 PM
Quote:
Readed all this... And dont get the answer on my question... To tell a stuff about US law, sorry but its stupid. Why? FlashFXP developed in US too, and support SSL like a charm... SO??? If mIRC developer too lazy to add few lines of code to support two dlls, is not depends of US law.

I can tell by the excellent grammar in that post that you are obviously NOT a lawyer so I would doubt Khaled is going to take your advise on legal matters. Furthermore, so, FlashFXP does it, what does that prove? People murder people in the US too, that doesn't mean it is legal. So, FlashFXP does it, all you did is prove they are breaking US law.
Posted By: DekuHaze Re: SSL Support - 18/10/03 06:39 PM
Why is it illegal to support SSL? confused
Posted By: codemastr Re: SSL Support - 18/10/03 07:41 PM
It's not illegal to support SSL, it's illegal to _export_ SSL. The way the US government looks at it is, what's to say that terrorists aren't going to d/l mIRC and use it to have encrypted communications?
Posted By: DekuHaze Re: SSL Support - 18/10/03 08:13 PM
Quote:
what's to say that terrorists aren't going to d/l mIRC and use it to have encrypted communications?

The same could be said for other clients that support it and ditto for the IM clients that support it to (such as Yahoo, Trillian, GAIM...etc...) so the above is a possiblility anyway.

The 'net on the whole, in my opinion, needs to be made a bit more secure (especially e-mail. I wish more ppl used PGP encryption) so why not start with IRC? smile

Now if only EFnet supported SSL connections...
Posted By: AKO Re: SSL Support - 19/10/03 04:16 PM
Until mIRC internally supports SSL, google for 'stuntour' which will allow you to connect to SSL-enabled IRC servers.

put stuntour.dll in your mIRC folder, and put the following in remotes:

on *:start:{ dll stuntour.dll load_stunnel }

there are a few more options, just read the readme.
Posted By: DekuHaze Re: SSL Support - 19/10/03 05:10 PM
Thanks, but I'm not running mIRC smile
© mIRC Discussion Forums