mIRC Homepage
Posted By: ChosenOne Quit Messages on IRCnet - 25/03/04 04:52 PM
The new ircd on IRCnet has changed the way quit-messages are displayed. A user's quit-message is enclosed with quotation marks now.
Example:
* Quits: Dragofix (Dragofix@....dial.inet.fi) ("restart")
So the standard mIRC quitmsg "quit :", which used to result in
* Quits: Nick (ident@host)
is now like:
* Quits: Nick (ident@host) ("")
In my opinion this is is not need to be displayed.....
Posted By: starbucks_mafia Re: Quit Messages on IRCnet - 25/03/04 04:59 PM
Just why the IRCd coders felt that was necessary is beyond me, IMO it should be taken up with them as a bug in the IRCd.
Posted By: Raccoon Re: Quit Messages on IRCnet - 25/03/04 05:00 PM
It is my opinion that the Quit message should be displayed exactly as the IRCd prepares it. This was added to prevent fake netsplit and timeout errors. Other networks now insert "Quit:" before a user defined message.

Removing these would be defeating a safeguard against falsification of connection status.
Posted By: ChosenOne Re: Quit Messages on IRCnet - 26/03/04 05:52 PM
I mean, miRC should display this:
* Quits: Nick (ident@host)
instead of this:
* Quits: Nick (ident@host) ("")

I don't want mIRC to remove the quotation marks completely. Only in an empty quit-message.
The below statement would be false then:
Quote:
Removing these would be defeating a safeguard against falsification of connection status.
Posted By: starbucks_mafia Re: Quit Messages on IRCnet - 26/03/04 06:18 PM
But then on any other network I type /quit "" and my quit message isn't seen. Of course it's not going to be likely that someone will have "" as their quit message but that's really not the point, the point is that if an IRC server sends a quit message to a client, the client should display it. Yes, mIRC could have a specific condition added just for IRCnet and it's IRCd, but why should it? If you don't like the fact that "" is displayed then you should take it up with the IRCd developers, because it's their code that's creating the issue.
Posted By: ChosenOne Re: Quit Messages on IRCnet - 27/03/04 04:11 PM
Hm maybe you're right....*scripting an on-quit event* laugh
Posted By: PastMaster Re: Quit Messages on IRCnet - 29/03/04 09:43 AM
This has been added purely and simply to prevent the use of fake server quit messages. It's no different really than DALnet adding "Quit:" to the beginning of quit messages.

PastMaster
IRCnet @#beginner @#travelersinn
© mIRC Discussion Forums