mIRC Homepage
Posted By: needhelpnoobie Annoyed, cannot ban properly. - 16/08/06 12:30 AM
I registered my own IRC chat channel and I'm the op in it. I banned someone for being a jerk, I selected ban/kick with reason. They just re-enter RIGHT after they are banned/kicked.

What is the deal? And what can I do about it.
Posted By: FNar Re: Annoyed, cannot ban properly. - 16/08/06 03:20 AM
You probably only kicked them, you didn't ban them. It might have something to do with the network.
Posted By: needhelpnoobie Re: Annoyed, cannot ban properly. - 16/08/06 03:49 AM
Yes they were banned.
Posted By: Doqnach Re: Annoyed, cannot ban properly. - 16/08/06 11:24 AM
make sure you banned them on the right ban mask. if you ban just the nickname, they can change their nick and come back. if you ban including the ident, they can change their identd and reconnect and join again...

if they are on dialup connection you need to ban the host with a wildcard for the portion that changes each reconnect... which is rather hard to do right unless you want to ban an entire ISP
Posted By: needhelpnoobie Re: Annoyed, cannot ban properly. - 16/08/06 05:40 PM
I right clicked their name, selected ban/kick/why it showed the ban in chat and kicked them and they re-entered within half a second..
Posted By: Doqnach Re: Annoyed, cannot ban properly. - 17/08/06 09:35 AM
who knows, maybe they are in the excemption list (if the network you are on supports this feature)
Posted By: HaleyJ Re: Annoyed, cannot ban properly. - 17/08/06 01:17 PM
Hi
could be he is an irc oper? Also could be he is a channel protected user and is unbanning himself using chanserv? try this ban script next time.

/myban {
who $2
mode # -qaohv+bbb $1 $1 $1 $1 $1 $1 $address($1,2) $address($1,4)
kick $chan $1
}

paste that into your aliases section.

/myban <nick>
Posted By: dhbedson Re: Annoyed, cannot ban properly. - 14/09/06 05:07 PM
Bearing in mind IRCds such as UnrealIRCd support a +e mode. That is a ban exemption. If a user, or any part of their full host matches any exemption, then any bans against them are therefore 'cancelled'.

You can view the exempt list by double clicking the channel window, you will see the ban list first, along with the title and some simple mode options. Hit the exempt button on the right hand side.

Alternativly, type /mode #channel-name-here +e, and then look in the status window.
© mIRC Discussion Forums