mIRC Homepage
Posted By: andymps mIRC, U HAVE TO PAY FOR IT!!!!!!!!! - 31/08/03 10:46 PM
how come u have to pay for mirc now it sucks!!!!!
Posted By: codemastr Re: mIRC, U HAVE TO PAY FOR IT!!!!!!!!! - 31/08/03 10:49 PM
You've had to pay for mIRC since the first version.
Posted By: andymps Re: mIRC, U HAVE TO PAY FOR IT!!!!!!!!! - 31/08/03 10:50 PM
all the versions i have dowloaded havent said u have a 30 day trial
Posted By: Collective Re: mIRC, U HAVE TO PAY FOR IT!!!!!!!!! - 31/08/03 10:50 PM
Since when? Krejt has said that mIRC doesn't kill itself after 30 days, so the only thing that has changed is that you can no longer stop the nagging.
Posted By: Collective Re: mIRC, U HAVE TO PAY FOR IT!!!!!!!!! - 31/08/03 10:51 PM
From the mIRC License Agreement:
mIRC is shareware, which means that you can try it out freely for 30 days to evaluate it. If during, or at the end of, the evaluation period you decide that you would like to continue using mIRC, you must register your copy. Your single-user registration will license you to use your copy of mIRC, will support work on future versions, new features, and bug fixes, and will provide you with technical support via email.

It has always been like that.
Posted By: andymps Re: mIRC, U HAVE TO PAY FOR IT!!!!!!!!! - 31/08/03 10:54 PM
well that sucks, i just went to download it to make my new bot and its got that stoooooopid box saying 30 day trial and stuff
that sucks
Posted By: Collective Re: mIRC, U HAVE TO PAY FOR IT!!!!!!!!! - 31/08/03 10:59 PM
What gives you the right to moan? If you don't like it then use another IRC client.
Posted By: obsessed Re: mIRC, U HAVE TO PAY FOR IT!!!!!!!!! - 31/08/03 11:05 PM
I agree, it sux that you have to pay for anything in life.
Posted By: pheonix Re: mIRC, U HAVE TO PAY FOR IT!!!!!!!!! - 31/08/03 11:14 PM
go and work really really hard on a big irc client like mirc, then hand it out for free then smile
Posted By: ksh Re: mIRC, U HAVE TO PAY FOR IT!!!!!!!!! - 31/08/03 11:49 PM
Many have; and that suggestion of yours is very good.

I imagine many users will switch to other IRC clients; I recommend xchat http://www.xchat.org/
Posted By: pheonix Re: mIRC, U HAVE TO PAY FOR IT!!!!!!!!! - 31/08/03 11:53 PM
maybe many have, but he still has no right to complain until he sees how hard it is for himself.
Posted By: CtrlAltDel Re: mIRC, U HAVE TO PAY FOR IT!!!!!!!!! - 01/09/03 10:49 AM
Paying for a program you WANT to use?
What a novel idea!
I only complain about paying for those I'm FORCED to use (windows) because of compatible software availability. grin

I registered mine.
Posted By: ksh Re: mIRC, U HAVE TO PAY FOR IT!!!!!!!!! - 02/09/03 05:49 AM
You are correct; writing an application on par with mIRC is a very intensive project. Blah; I guess registering for mIRC after the 30 day evaluation isn't a big deal.
Posted By: dohcan Re: mIRC, U HAVE TO PAY FOR IT!!!!!!!!! - 02/09/03 06:36 AM
This is way off-topic but your avatar scares the heck out of me.
Posted By: Hoggeh Re: mIRC, U HAVE TO PAY FOR IT!!!!!!!!! - 02/09/03 10:14 AM
IMHO this is takin the <moderator edit>. the developers know how big mirc is, so instead of saying they have to pay for it after 30 days, they are now forcing people too, which is pretty sad, money making <moderator edit>!!!! mad

If the IRC daemon server software hadnt been developed where would mirc be, no where it probably wouldnt even exist, just like other clients for windows/*unix. But they never charged for the ircd software did they, NO! so what gives him the right too, and people who do pay for this as just as thick and stupid as the developers.

I for one will be shortly moving on to another client other than mirc and will be urging people who come on our irc network or people i just talk to on other networks not to use ver 6.1.

What about those people who cannot pay for it, i.e they are kids in school, college or uni with no method of payment and just use the campus internet ? or are they expected to pay as well. get real!

Suggestion for the developers, go join microsoft you money making <moderator edit>, you belong with bill gates.
Posted By: pheonix Re: mIRC, U HAVE TO PAY FOR IT!!!!!!!!! - 02/09/03 10:17 AM
are you blind?, mirc doesn't force you to pay, think of it as a reminder.
it does not stop working after 30 days...
Posted By: MonoSex Re: mIRC, U HAVE TO PAY FOR IT!!!!!!!!! - 02/09/03 10:20 AM
If you can't pay for it, don't use it.
There are other, _free_ IRC clients out there.
Posted By: Hoggeh Re: mIRC, U HAVE TO PAY FOR IT!!!!!!!!! - 02/09/03 10:22 AM
yea which is annoyance, so to stop it you have to pay for it, hence why "I SAID" its forcing you to pay to get rid of it.
Posted By: pheonix Re: mIRC, U HAVE TO PAY FOR IT!!!!!!!!! - 02/09/03 10:30 AM
Quote:
so instead of saying they have to pay for it after 30 days, they are now forcing people too

well theyre not.
Posted By: Hoggeh Re: mIRC, U HAVE TO PAY FOR IT!!!!!!!!! - 02/09/03 10:30 AM
MonoSex, its not a case of me not being able to pay for it, its more like I dont want too cuz as you said there is pleanty of other free irc clients available out there on the internet to use.

IRC is generally been free, which is why irc is the size it is and growing, if every server admin or client developer charged for something they devel / run, then how big would irc be now exactly, half the size if if not less than it is now.
Posted By: pheonix Re: mIRC, U HAVE TO PAY FOR IT!!!!!!!!! - 02/09/03 10:39 AM
£12/$20 is not a lot, dont be ignorant grin
Posted By: Hoggeh Re: mIRC, U HAVE TO PAY FOR IT!!!!!!!!! - 02/09/03 10:44 AM
Quote:

£12/$20 is not a lot, dont be ignorant grin

Money I could use else where whilst using a free client, like a pint or two down the local, i guess paying for mirc is something irc addicts/geeks would pay for, thank <moderator edit> I aint gonna.
Posted By: pheonix Re: mIRC, U HAVE TO PAY FOR IT!!!!!!!!! - 02/09/03 10:47 AM
irc is better without you.
Posted By: Raccoon Re: mIRC, U HAVE TO PAY FOR IT!!!!!!!!! - 02/09/03 11:30 AM
I don't see why I should have to pay for this martini, when water is free.

There is no philosophy behind your ramblings.
Posted By: Mentality Re: mIRC, U HAVE TO PAY FOR IT!!!!!!!!! - 02/09/03 11:34 AM
A couple of pints down the local? You don't seem old enough to drink. Perhaps you should step back and take a different approach to putting across your point of view than swearing like some brat who can't get his own way.

However, the foundation of what you're saying is a fair point. I understand both sides of the argument, but as I am not able to pay for it due to more than just financial constraints, I may be a little bias to the "not paying" side wink

The fact is, this conversation gets more boring each time it's bought up, which is why I imagine Khaled/Krejt etc etc hardly ever get involved in this particular topic because they've seen all the arguments before. Given the recent "more nagging" version of mIRC, I doubt you're going to find it changing in the future so you might aswell just get used to it smile

MonoSex: That's a rather ignorant approach. I mean, I wouldn't want to use another client because as far as I'm concerned every other client for Windows simply doesn't compare to mIRC. As much as some other clients are well designed and very good (i.e. Klient) I wouldn't want to use it.

As I've said before, lost in the depths of posts that time forgot, I'm quite prepared to close an About dialogue box to use mIRC. It takes... 0.63 seconds to press that button. Goodness me, what a long startup time.

I would happily register mIRC, but I can't. There's no point arguing over all of the options, and how cheap it is, and how Khaled so kindly makes it so you only have to pay $10 or whatever - because regardless of all those valid reasons, I still can't. However, I'll use mIRC anyway.

It doesn't bother me (like those ever-so-terrible "grips" heh).

Happy antagonising.

Regards,
Posted By: ParaBrat Re: mIRC, U HAVE TO PAY FOR IT!!!!!!!!! - 02/09/03 11:46 AM
You certainly have the right to your opinions, however please express them with common courtesy and without namecalling/insults/rudeness.

Mirc is shareware and has been almost since its creation, ppl are expected to pay for shareware. The difference with mIRC is that the author has always run on the honor system, trusting ppl to do the right thing. He even offers the option of paying less for ppl who cant afford $20 and routinely donates a months registrations to worthy causes. Hardly the actions of the <censored> you seem to feel he is. Personally i dont understand why you feel Khaled should be denied the right to earn a living.

Now, i think its time to close this thread before tempers fray any further.
© mIRC Discussion Forums