Print Thread
S
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
S
Hello.

mIRC doesn't play well with others.

Ever since NT, Windows has had support for multiple user accounts with different permissions. Administrator accounts can add and remove programs, drivers, etc. User accounts can use programs, and keep settings in their own folders.

mIRC doesn't do this. It keeps settings files in the Program Files directory. That's a big problem. My user account can't save any settings, because it doesn't have write permission to the Program Files directory.

The correct location for settings files is in %USERPROFILE%\Application Data, I think.

I searched around for information about compliance with Microsoft standards, and I found this: http://microsoft.mrmpslc.com/InnovateOnWindowsVista/ResourcesAndTraining.aspx?LangType=4105#logos

I hope it helps. Also, since I can already guess that a lot of users aren't going to want to move their ini files out of the Program Files directory, I recommend using an installer that provides an option. Winamp's latest installer does this. When you run it, it asks you if you want to share settings for all users, or give each account its own settings.

On my PC, and a lot of other people's PC, the first option doesn't work at all. mIRC is using that first option.. So it doesn't work for me.

So, take a look at that document from Microsoft, and other documents from them. Also take a look at Winamp's installer for a good example of how this should work..

If you do this, mIRC will be a better and more robust application. =)

Hope this helps.

--David Loyall
Conway, Arkansas, USA

The Good Guys Consulting

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
This will be the default behaviour from the next version of mIRC (see discussion).

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.

Link Copied to Clipboard