mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
B
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
B
Hi all my friend says that his friend downloads movies on mirc i have tryed so many times to do that i dont get how too can someone help me?
Thanks

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
What you asking for help with is illegal. Just because you CAN do it doesnt mean you SHOULD. No, i am not judging what you or anyone else does, i'm just not going to help you do it grin

Downloading files from strangers is a great way to fill your puter with trojans/virii of all sorts which can do a lot of damage. i suggest reading this web page Clicking on urls that promise you access to *coff* movies can do the same and infect others, which in turn can effect countless others.

You can go to your local video store, get a movie inexpensively, take it home, watch it, return it and get another one and watch that one in prolly less time than it would take to sit on a queue and wait during a lengthy download.

Try using mIRC as the chat medium it was intended for..you'll find lots of interesting ppl to chat with.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
X
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
X
lol that webpage is kinda stupid... its like that dood who made that post one time "if you son playes quake 3 arean, he is most likley a hacker. Quake 3 Arena is a vertual world that hackers get togeather in."

;Check for Life

if (%life == $null) {
goto getlife
}
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
After you've carefully considered what Parabrat says, and if you still want to go ahead, the only other thing you can do is ask your friend to ask his friend to help you. Personally, I wouldn't even go into a warez channel, let alone download anything from anyone in there. Paranoia is a good thing sometimes.

Never compare yourself to others - they're more screwed up than you think.
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Stupid?? Warning ppl who are new to IRC about how they can get virii/trojans and whats illegal isnt stupid. Their tips on
troubleshooting arent stupid. Their links to security help for sure arent stupid. Either you didnt bother to read it or have just decided that anyone who tries to warn and help users is "stupid". I think they did a fine job on that website. Apparently you arent aware of how many ppl get infected every day from downloading files or clicking on infected websites.

Just because you dont like something is no reason to be rude and call the work of others stupid. The quote you made was from something plainly intended to be humorous, the website just as plainly isnt.

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
I have to agree with Parabrat on this one. Warning people that are new to IRC is not stupid it is a smart thing. Take it from me i did the downloading thing through mIRC cause well hey I am willing to try new things. However, I did get infected by a virus and it wasn't a good thing.....I ended up doing a system recovery after neutralizing it with a virus scanner....then wiping my computer to the point of when i first brought it home....all of this because system restore didnt work.. All i'm saying is that if you are new to the IRC scene be very careful on what you accept through DCC because not everyone online are nice people....Unless of course youve known them for a while and are certain that they wouldnt infect your computer. Keep this in mind.

X
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
X
im just saying, i found it hummorous. Being around warez, I have never come across one virus. I just kinda compare that website to those people protesting in front of washington about "war is bad". Well of corse its bad, but what else are we going to do? sing them to peace? Ya, but this is personal opionion.

;Check for Life

if (%life == $null) {
goto getlife
}
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
Yes also keep in mind that if your friends ur downloading these programs are also as no caring as u are breaking the law ... passing virus and trojans .... that these ppl even if u do trust them will eventually become infected ...... not know it and then pass files and virus to a potential of hundreds of ppl ..... one person becomes infected passes it to four then those four pass it to 16 and so on and so fourth ..... im really wondering why anyone would dcc a movie when the time it takes to get it is as parabrat sad so much faster to go to the movie rental store and get the thing ...... hell by the time u actually get a possible working movie from these ppl and it not be riddled with viruses .... what are u gonna do with it .... watch it one time? after waiting days on end to get it? ..... pass it to others not caring if it has a virus ....... ok nm im going on and on about these potential hazards but PLEASE DONT dcc accept ANYTHING from ANYONE ....... heck id block an attempt from my own mother im that paranoid!!

D3m0nnet.com
X
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
X
actually, with a good connection have the ability to get one in not even a day. I think mirc is a 2faced program. half use it for chat purposes, and the other half use it like kazaa.

;Check for Life

if (%life == $null) {
goto getlife
}
X
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
X
i dont know, maby its because im not paranoid. I reformat once a month for fun. I just feal like starting over. So, i guess i dont really mind a grimlin or 2. BUT, no there are no viruses on my computer.

;Check for Life

if (%life == $null) {
goto getlife
}
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
true but i dont think it takes me a whole day to go to the video store get 5 movies and watch em ..... and i dont have to worry bout wasting a day to recieve a possible virus from an unknown user or a known user

D3m0nnet.com
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
/me makes mental note never to accept files from xrn0id shocked

Never compare yourself to others - they're more screwed up than you think.
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
xrn0id:

Perhaps the web site was not intended for you in particular. Obviously, you are not a newbie and even know enough to format your own computer without hand-holding from tech support. MOST people, by far, could not do this, nor would they be able to detect whether or not they were in risk of getting infected by a virus or a trojan. The fact is, no matter how hard we try to help these users protect themselves, they still manage to get infected.

Your attitude needs a little adjusting, xrn0id; you are a rude person. You say you think mIRC is a two-faced program. I have a couple of objections just to that one sentence.

1) You say you think...when that plainly is frequently not the case. Review your posts and you will (perhaps) see what I mean.

2) You say mIRC is two-faced. mIRC has no faces, one, two or more, although it is a multi-faceted program, that is very true. In English, "two-faced" is a derogatory expression that means "someone who tells one person one thing and tells another person another thing (about the same subject)." Your statement reminds me of the quote, "Guns don't kill people; people kill people." How you choose to use a tool is entirely up to you. Applying your own values, ethics and practices, which you have said yourself are "questionable" in any legalistic sense, is laughable when applied to users who have some experience, but dangerous when applied to newbies who don't realize that they can get hurt in many ways.

DALnet: #HelpDesk and #m[color:#FF0000]IR[color:#EEEE00]C
X
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
X
ok I agree. I do have an attitude. I am sorry. I will never let it happend again I promise. I am truly sorry, I am new to these forms, and I dont want to get a bad rep or a bad start. Once again, I am sorry.

;Check for Life

if (%life == $null) {
goto getlife
}
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
You many not have... or you may have and unknowingly passed it along. I couldnt begin to count the number of ppl who have posted here and come into #mIRC who are infected and need time consuming help to clean their puters.
Granted, some are well aware of the risk they are taking and just dont care what happens to them or others, but many simply dont know the risks or about how trojans are spread or how to find if they have one. How many of the ppl who unknowingly have contributed to the current attacks on DALnet by becoming infected do you thing KNEW they were?

Trojans/virii are an enormous problem.
That website, along with many others, do a great service.
i'm not even going to get into the whole warez subject, but bragging about how much you steal doesnt impress me.

Link Copied to Clipboard