mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#42554 17/08/03 09:07 PM
Y
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
Y
When I first start mIRC, the connect box does not pop up. I have tried deleting and reinstalling, rebooting, etc. I am running windows ME.

#42555 17/08/03 09:53 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
What is it about Windows ME and mIRC? I'm sure I've seen several problems with ME's compatibility with mIRC. You might try looking through the 'Bugs' forum for any solutions.

I don't know how you can fix that, but you should still be able to access the dialogue by either pressing ALT+O or going to File > Options.

It's annoying when that pop-up box pops up every time you connect anyway, so it's saving you set another option *G*

Hope you solve your little problem.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#42556 17/08/03 10:12 PM
Y
OP Offline
Y
hitting control O or file, options doesn't work either. I have yet to find an actual fix.

#42557 18/08/03 07:39 AM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
-be sure you got mIRC from an approved site at www.mirc.com

-when you install, make sure nothing else is running in the background

-its alt o (the letter o, not the number and not control o)

-do you have anything that may be resource draining running when you try to access options? (dont forget to check background processes)

-once you get to options, be sure the "popup connect dialog on startup" in file/options/connect/options is checked

-wouldnt hurt to run a couple good virus scans just for general principles, including one of the free inline ones like at trendmirco.com

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
#42558 18/08/03 08:50 PM
Y
OP Offline
Y
have gotten mirc from the www.mirc.com site every time. have installed when nothing is running right after reboot. Had just run virus scan. Options does not work at all - either through alt-o or through file-options.

Not sure exactly what to do now.

#42559 18/08/03 09:06 PM
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
they may be nothing at all u can do ..... there has been a handfull of ppl with this issue and i dont think there was ever any solution to it. aside from manually setting your options into the mirc.ini and then connecting by clicking the connect icon up top ... id say there is very little of a solution anyone can give u. i do believe it has alot to do with windows ME .. it was quite buggy from the day they set it out on the shelves. several display errors was what i remember being plagued with when i had it for a few months.

D3m0nnet.com
#42560 24/08/03 02:07 PM
R
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
R
So when will it be fixed? I've had this same issue on three different computers now. I _finally_ got the options box open on this PC (PC 1) after I completely uninstalled mIRC, searched the registry for mIRC entries and deleted them, then reinstalled it. It came up one time. After I put in all my info and hit connect it never came up again. Two of the PCs have Windows 98 SE. One of them has Windows ME.
PC 1: HP desktop, Win98 SE, 466 Celeron, 64 MB ram
PC 2: Toshiba laptop, Windows ME, PIII 750, 256 MB ram
PC 3: Dell desktop, Win98 SE, unknown processor other than PII, 192 MB ram, work PC.

PC's 2 and 3 were fresh installs of mIRC and had never had mIRC before. PC 2's options box never came up even once. PC 3's came up and then suddenly stopped. PC 1 was an upgrade from mIRC 5.x. The options box worked on it before the upgrade.

I'm running mIRC version 6.03 downloaded and registered from this site with no custom scripts installed. Downloading an older version and installing it doesn't seem to help, however, I have not tried removing mIRC from the registry and then installing a newer version. Even so, I shouldn't have to downgrade mIRC just to be able to alter my options and fix whatever DCC problem I'm having.

I understand most of you, if not all of you, are just volunteers for this support message board. However, since a few of us have actually registered the software, I really hope and wish something would be done about this other than "oh well sorry". Twenty dollars isn't a whole lot of cash for certain, but considering that pIRCh is free and works on my PCs, I hope you can see my frustration at paying for something that isn't working and apparently can't be easily fixed.

#42561 24/08/03 02:36 PM
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
i do understand your annoyance ..... and ty for the input. your saying also that the older versions of mirc did work at one time but then once u got this newest version it stopped working on them? ive heard of this options box being reported mainly on ME and not on 98 or 98se ..... both of which did work on mine ..... altho i have since upgraded my OS to WinXp pro hopefully the issue will get resolved on the next version im sure Khaled is workin on this issue be patiant for the next release and hopefully it will be resolved.... altho maybe once it comes out removing the old one and registry entries it made would be a good idea ..... make sure u backup your old registry before altering it..... anyhow ive often wondered if a standard dialog box could be written as an addon script when this issue arises ..... altho the time to script it all probably wouldnt be worth the effort

D3m0nnet.com
#42562 25/08/03 06:22 AM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
While i can understand your frustration, please understand that what you are reporting isnt a common issue or one that can be duplicated at will. The suggestions i made in my other post seem to have been at the root of the problem for the few others who have reported it. I'm not belittling or shrugging off your problem, but i have installed a lot of copies of mIRC on 3.11, win95, win98se,win2k without encountering what you describe. Ditto for countless other users on all operating systems. I've never had to uninstall an older version of mIRC before i could install another one. Altho i rarely overwrite old versions, i have on occasion without what you report occurring. I vaguely recall one time not being able to open something several mIRC versions ago but a reboot fixed it. was prolly due to 98's infamous builtin memory leak *growl*

A glance thru any versions.txt shows that the author does all he can to fix anything thats broken. Before something can be fixed, the cause has to be found. Before you can find it, you have to be able to reproduce it.

And yes, everyone who helps here are volunteers (and hopefully have ALL registered their mIRC)

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
#42563 03/09/03 01:59 AM
R
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
R
*sigh* Even with 6.1 I have the same issue. I've registered for nothing. If mIRC was configured correctly then it wouldn't be so much of an issue, but something's up with my DCC and I'd rather not go plowing through INI files to try to fix it if I could just get into my Options menu. I'll try this again, but if it doesn't work, then is there a way I can get my money back?

Link Copied to Clipboard