mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
I
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
I
Dear mIRC

I've just installed the new verison of mIRC that has been released and now none of my client certificates [generated by mIRC] will let me connect to my network

My network has a "real" SSL certificate and it was working perfectly fine before I run the upgrade installation. It also continues to work in [other] portable installations that I carry around with me on removable media - separate from "main" installation of mIRC

When I try to connect with the new version it says "SSL certificate verify failed" - this happens regardless which user account / certificate that I attempt to use. I am 100% there is nothing wrong with my wildcard and server certificates which are fully CA verified

For now I have just over-written the new version with the backed-up version I saved during setup. This may let me use my client certificates for now, but it is only a temporary solution so that meanwhile, I can still connect

Is this a standard problem that happens from time to time? I have seen the error before but in all those cases there actually _were_ problems with the certificate. I don't want to keep using this version forever because I prefer to upgrade when a new, supposedly stable, version appears

Please tell me if there's anything I can do to get my certificates to work with the new 7.74 without having to generate / implement / register them all again

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
Hello, do you have cacert.pem file set as trusted authorities in SSL dialog alt o > connect > options > ssl?

edit: https://forums.mirc.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/271889/7-74-without-cacert-pem#Post271889

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
I
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
I
Dear Wims

Thank you for your reply and for raising about this issue a thread. I have never touched cacert.pem nor the settings around it. The only variable in any of my mIRC sessions has only been the client certificate I used to connect

It might be helpful to mention that the "install as portable" upgrades that I did worked seamlessly and if anyone is struggling with this might be a viable work around

I think I remember reading somewhere that the cacert.pem file was based on the public CA root store that comes with Mozilla and their products. My network has a sectigo wildcard so I was surprised that the details you have covered in your thread would have affected me

Kind Regards
Incorrigo

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
You're not very clear about whether you had cacert.pem file set as trusted auth, and as that's the only thing that triggers this issue, that's why it can affects you.
Reinstalling mIRC, portable or not, will fix the issue because by default cacert.pem is set as the trusted auth in ssl option.

Most likely if you're seeing this error, you're in that case, but the issue has been fixed now.

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel

Link Copied to Clipboard